This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mail order catalogues

Great pictures, thank you very much for sharing them. They brought the memories flooding back
    Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Re: Mail order catalogues

I kept some transformers pages from argos back in the 80's,
      Click image for larger version

Name:	argos1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	259762Click image for larger version

Name:	argos2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	259763

got a few more but not scanned and obviously the reverse side shows some different toys, i worked for argos a few years back and we had a whole run of catalogues going back to the early 80's in the office. Sadly they got binned, never realised they might be worth something! Funny looking at the old clothes, t.v's and cassette players from back then.
      "Spare me your space-age techno babble Attila The Hun"

Comment

Re: Old Catalogue toy pages

Great post chirtman we've had quite a few people join up who were looking for rock lords
        Heather

Comment

OMG I had that frogger and the red tomy game
          MOLE MOLE GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE - GRUNDA GRUNDA

Comment

I used to have the Perfume set, some smelt odd!
            Does anyone remember Dream Drops? they were a painting toy, the paint was in a bottle and when you dropped it on the special paper (like blotting paper), all different colours radiated out. And Colour Witch? That was pens or crayons with a witches hat on and little blocks of paint in couldrens(sp).

I really wanted the Bionic Man I wanted to look through his bionic eye and roll his skin back on his arm eeew lol

Lynn

Comment

Good God! that's a major memory I'd forgotten
              Yes, me and my Sister had the Witches paints.. would LOVE to see them again.
              I assume they were from the late 60's, as we had them in the very early 70's, and I think they came from a jumble sale.
              I can just see the little hats and black plastic cauldrons now

Paint Witch is the name I recall
              Last edited by sixtyten; 04-09-2010, 02:07.

Comment

I searched for some pics of these but couldn't find any but no worries.

My b/d is at Christmas time and I remember my Mum buying those and Buckeroo, Kerplunk and another which I can't remember. I asked her if I could have one as an early present and she gave me the Buckeroo, drove me bonkers, could never get all the things on that saddle lol.

Thanks for replying btw.

Lynn

Comment

Reading this thread has been such a revelation! How I remember most of these toys, and to think I gave most of mine away when they would probably be worth a fortune now!

Comment

Excellent stuff! Has anyone any idea why, in the early '80s... action figures went from being realistic, to shiney plastic, and out of proportion and cartoony? The old figures had fine detailed facial features, but the later ones looked like bad drawings. :S

Comment

• Re: Old Catalogue toy pages

The shiny plastic was prob for cost and production reasons. I think the look was just a change in demographic style. Influenced by Japanese art (before the onslaught of Manga proper). It happens every few years, just look at the latest copy of the Dandy; I nearly threw up when I saw it. Desperate Dan is a disgrace! Also look how many times Dennis The Menace has changed over the years,..Even Mickey Mouse!

Action man has changed continuously over the years at one point in the late 90s (I think) he looked more like Lou Carpenter out of Neighbours. I must admit I prefer the more realistic approach even if they aren't as dynamic. Action Man and Barbie did make a lovely couple back then.

Comment

Looking through those catalogue pages really brings back some great memories.

Comment

• Fantastic! I remember most of these from my childhood, owned some and saw the rest with friends and family or on tv ads. Grrr, Mr Frosty.... I've not seen one in real life. Always wanted one though! Does anyone have a catalogue with "Mountain Rescue" in it?

Comment

These scans are all from the Autumn/Winter 1991 Argos catalogue.

Comment

Comment

Last two for now:

Comment

Working...
                                X