Christmas as a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas as a kid

Dinky SHADO Mobile with those little yellow and black plastic rockets you always fired and lost under the sofa. Or the red rockets you lost when the Batmobile fired them.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Favourite present ever - apart from a baby rabbit when I was 11 - was my Petite Super International Typewriter. I'd craved one for SO long and loved it to bits. Started at least 3 novels on it! (never finished them though - big brother found them and took the p*ss mercilessly, thereby depriving the world of the next - or should I say first - JK Rowling ) Turquoise and white plastic it was.
      No Christmas was ever complete without a Beano Annual (or Jackie and Blue Jeans later on) and a fresh set of Platignum felt tip pens. And a net sock-shaped selection pack.
      Battling Tops, Spirograph, Don't Cook Your Goose, Don't Break The Ice, Sorry!,Compendium of Games.
      Ooh - and a red haired doll called Chrissie with hair that "grew". (Advert - "Beautiful Chrissie has beautiful hair that grows.....")

Comment

Some of the toys I remember getting...

Homepride baking set
        sarah kay rag doll, I got pink and my sis got blue
        poster paints in long tube
        blackboard with both white & coloured chalk
        sindy house with blue bathroom furniture and living room stuff.
        sweet making factory (Icing sugar mixed with water and put into a mould)
        smurf cuddly toy
        play doh hairdressers
        big yellow tea pot
        sheepskin gloves
        stocking shaped selection box with white mesh covering
        now thats what i call music 5
        good luck care bear
        strawberry shortcake doll
        misty, jinty, shiver & shake, twinkle annuals
        The list is endless, spoiled little brat. lol

Comment

Going from the 70's onwards ithe ones that come to mind are:

Strech armstrong(hulk version)
          Baron Karza
          raleigh striker(green one with the peddle back brake)
          scaletrix(that took hours to get working before dad realised he hadn't put a fuse in the plug lol)
          raleigh racer bike
          rupert the bear moulds that you poured in plaster of paris to make models then paint
          always had loads of games like mouse trap and operation
          plus always had board games like ludo ans suchlike
          cant think of anymore!

Comment

Anyone remember shiver and shake annual. About ghosts and ghoulies?

Comment

Originally posted by sally 1973 View Post
              I never had one as a present (more into the Beano) but there were some of the annuals & comics in the wet play box (remember them?) at my primary school.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had a few of the previously mentioned items but I most fondly remember the toy cars,one that sticks in the mind was a corgi police van with accident signs and traffic cones.
                Frame.
                "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by sally 1973 View Post
                  And an elephant.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                    And an elephant.
                    And a hot air balloon on the cover. lol.

Comment

Great thread

Earliest memory is a space suit which was silver. Best part was it had a helmet with - I think - a green visor. Can even remember the smell of the helmet but that's probably because I wore it endlessly.

Evel Knievel Super Cycle
                      Big Trak + Trailer
                      Matchbox Power Track Race + Chase set
                      Little Big Man (smaller version of Action man)
                      Christmas Annuals on the end of the bed so if we woke early then we'd have something to do other than wake up Mum + Dad
                      Portable radio so I could listen to police broadcast
                      Crossfire
                      Ricochet Racers (still have it)
                      Tonka truck (still have it) - so well built in plastic that it just could not be broken
                      Games compendium ... got one every year it seemed
                      Mastermind
                      Corgi + Dinky cars

I can't say I remember believing in Santa - I was youngest of 3 brothers - but I did like the excitement of waiting to see what the main present was that Mum + Dad had bought me. I remember my brothers finding the catalogue order one Christmas and insisting that I see it. That was months before Christmas so I lost the excitement of wondering what I was getting. Christmas was never quite the same after that.

Then it went boring with gifts like trousers, aftershave, socks, torches ...

Things like a bike, Spectrum computer, and a calculator watch were reserved for birthdays.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby365 View Post
                        Great thread

Earliest memory is a space suit which was silver. Best part was it had a helmet with - I think - a green visor. Can even remember the smell of the helmet but that's probably because I wore it endlessly.

Evel Knievel Super Cycle
                        Big Trak + Trailer
                        Matchbox Power Track Race + Chase set
                        Little Big Man (smaller version of Action man)
                        Christmas Annuals on the end of the bed so if we woke early then we'd have something to do other than wake up Mum + Dad
                        Portable radio so I could listen to police broadcast
                        Crossfire
                        Ricochet Racers (still have it)
                        Tonka truck (still have it) - so well built in plastic that it just could not be broken
                        Games compendium ... got one every year it seemed
                        Mastermind
                        Corgi + Dinky cars

I can't say I remember believing in Santa - I was youngest of 3 brothers - but I did like the excitement of waiting to see what the main present was that Mum + Dad had bought me. I remember my brothers finding the catalogue order one Christmas and insisting that I see it. That was months before Christmas so I lost the excitement of wondering what I was getting. Christmas was never quite the same after that.

Then it went boring with gifts like trousers, aftershave, socks, torches ...

Things like a bike, Spectrum computer, and a calculator watch were reserved for birthdays.
                        I remember the silver space suit,that plastic smell was so strong i can still smell it lol

Comment

I remember desperately wanting a "Tank Command " game,and upon opening it on Xmas morning there was a vital piece missing!...this was the days when everything closed for at least a week,so i couldnt get a replacement until then.....my xmas was ruined!!...haha....trouble is when i took it back with my mum they had all sold out and i never did get one.....

Comment

I remember my brother getting an Action Man command tower that had a piece missing, & my Dad having to go out as early as possible on the 27th to get it sorted out.

After that my parents did a check on our new toys before wrapping them up. I rememer I asked for one thing & got another as they couldn't get the original working in 2 attempts.

My Uncle once had to be dispatched to the shops to find some waterproof superglue after one of my cousins dropped one of those 1980s water games.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember going downstairs and finding a Dawes Racing Bike.I put it outside later,and stood in awe looking at it,in the beautiful silence of christmas day and boxing day.My mum allowed me to keep it by the kitchen back door,incase people stole it.It was wonderful riding round on it in the silence and all alone.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby365 View Post
                                Great thread

Scooby could this be your space suit?

Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X