It's in the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's in the oven

Way back before microwaves became common it was a poor show if you got home late.

Basically you had to get a plate out of the oven (usually with another plate upside down on top of it ) and get it to the table , always really hot.
    When you looked at it all the food had set together and gravy was like hardened varnish.

Any complaints and it was "I tried to keep it warm for you but you were late", the idea that you might have liked it tepid but edible never seemed to occur to them.

Anyone remember suffering through meals like this?

Re: It's in the oven

I think my Mum did this at least once, using a Pyrex oven proof plate.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember meals like that a lot.I hated the whole scenario,as everything tasted like cardboard.

Comment

yep, i remember this when I first started work. Unfortunately my mum + dad were in the routine of having a cooked meal early evening so made mine the same time, and when I came home at gone 8pm, my tea was hardly recognisable. I'd add loads of butter to the mash to try and get that back to its original form, and if it was sausages or some other meat, then lots of brown sauce. Sauce became a vehicle for most of my evening meals for quite a while. I know I could have made it myself or picked up a take-away, but I rarely did.

Comment

Nope - I was spoilt and if I was ever back late I got something cooked fresh!! lol.

Comment

Working...
          X