Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The School Féte

Default Re: The School Féte

There was a tradition every year in my junior school in which a 'rose queen' was elected (from what I remember, it was always ome afro-carribean girl) and would be 'crowned' on the day of the school fete (Don't remember her having any special status (like the proberbial USA high school quarterback/ team captain/head cheeleader) and would be forced (probably against her own free will) to be part of The Stretford Pageant every summer.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    My junior school always put on a great event in the summer and there was usually a special guest to open it; an actor, or singer or football player. I would help my dad with the 'banging-the-nail-in' stall, (quite what Health & Safety would make of that these days, I dread to think), but it was the 'throwing-the-sponge-at-a-teacher' stall where you queued up for ages!

Anyone else have memories of spring and summer fétes? Especially from the 70s and 80s.

We only ever had one - I recall in Primary and it was either Year 5 or 6 (in new Currency) and we all got promised (an by coincidence we was booked on a trip to the National Railway Museum in Yor - before it became really famous), but back to what i was saying at this Autumn fate we was all promised to help give food parcels out the an old persons complex nearly next door (and that we'd all gottan a chance) and as a kid who loved caring and doing (or wanting to do Children In Need things) I never got that chance just as is the abiding memory of being too ill at a similar time of that year for the NRM Trip!!

80sChav

I was thinking whether the School fête was the same thing as the jumble sale that we had and all that - there was something during our last week at Junior school (the end of Year 6 as it would have been know by) where we threw sponges at a teacher, and so that could have been our school fête for that year.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

I was in Infants or Junior School when our fête was opened by the actor Edward Woodward!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

You should have had him for Maths lessons as an equalizer.

(Sorry...)

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    I was in Infants or Junior School when our fête was opened by the actor Edward Woodward!

That's what I Callan exciting day.

I suppose that the closest we get to an actor was a Drama teacher.

I seem to remember one of our school fetes being opened by Tom Baker in the 70s, in his Dr Who heyday.

I loved school fetes, the lucky dip, tombolla, and games. Xmas was great as they also had a big toy stall on year where I saw a 12" Cylon figure (from Battlestar Galactica) and my parents got it for me at xmas.

The fete at my primary school was apparently opened by Mr Blobby (the furry version), although I got there too late to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Doh!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!