The Piglet Files (1990-1992)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Piglet Files (1990-1992)

A series i orignially overlooked.Currently catching up with.I have always been a fan of shows in which Nicholas Lyndhurst starred.

The Piglet Files is a British sitcom produced by LWT (now part of Granada TV).The show consisted of three series totaling twenty-one episodes that ran between 1990 and 1992. The programme follows the life of reluctant MI5 agent Peter “Piglet” Chapman as he tries to instruct his fellow agents on the finer points of spy gadgetry while keeping his wife Sarah in the dark about his new career.

In the early 1990s during the intervening period between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union, MI5 combats the Soviet spies within the United Kingdom while facing the ineptitude of their own agents, the ridicule of the sheer fact that the Soviet Union is no longer a threat and not to mention the French. But MI5 knows better, and indeed, the Soviets are intent on making trouble.
    In an effort to alleviate the incompetence of their agents, MI5 convinces and hires local university teacher Peter Chapman. Well, technically, they get him sacked from the university and leave him no other choice. His new bosses Maurice Drummond and Andrew Maxwell assign Peter to the technology division but there’s one thing. Peter now insists on having a codename, to further his identity in the world of spying. Peter originally asks for Puma, followed by Panther, however these are already in use. And so, they pick the only remaining P name up for grabs: Piglet. "Piglet" routinely joins the other field agents on missions, but this is mainly to ensure that MI5 gets its equipment back.
    And now, Peter “Piglet” Chapman must now face down Soviet assassins and double agents while keeping his identity as an MI5 technician secret from everyone else, including his wife Sarah.
    Characters

• First Series (1990)
      • A Question of Intelligence (7 September)
      • Fair Exchange (14 September)
      • A Room with a View (21 September)
      • The Ice-Man Cometh (28 September)
      • The Beagle Has Landed (5 October)
      • Now You See It (12 October)
      • A Private Member's Bill (19 October)

• Second Series (1991)
      • The Wright Stuff (3 May)
      • Red Spy at Night (10 May)
      • Piglet in a Trough (17 May)
      • The Wrong Combination (24 May)
      • Trouble with Reception (31 May)
      • The Hunt for Red Decoder (7 June)
      • Undercover Activity (14 June)

• Third Series (1992)
      • Guerillas in the Mist (29 March)
      • Sweet and Sour Piglet (5 April)
      • Sex, Spies and Videotape (12 April)
      • In Which We Serve (19 April)
      • The Plane Truth (26 April)
      • Under New Management (3 May)
      • With Friends Like Thesse (10 May)

Format Comedy, Sitcom Starring Nicholas Lyndhurst
    Clive Francis Country of origin UK No. of episodes 21 Production Running time 23 Minutes Broadcast Original channel ITV Original run 7 September 199010 May 1992
    sigpic

Re: The Piglet Files (1990-1992)

I don't remember that series at all. I'm amazed it ran for three series without me noticing it lol.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I never actually saw it, but 'The Piglet Files' theme tune was the B-side to a 7" single I bought in 1990 on which the A-side was the theme to the LWT sitcom 'Not With A Bang' which I loved, but only ran for one series. It's possible I was NWAB's only viewer.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I'm getting paranoid now - I don't remember that one either...

Comment

Without wishing to hijack 'The Piglet Files' thread, 'Not With A Bang' starred Ronald Pickup, Stephen Rea, Josie Lawrence & Mike Grady as seemingly the only 4 survivors of an apocolyptic accident when Judith Hann (on a 'Tomorrow's World'-type programme) dropped a test tube full of a gene which controlled growth in humans ("Oh bugger!") and inadvertantly wiped out everyone in Britain (even the world) - not with a bang - see what they did there?!. The sitcom was set in a village and the survivors had survived the wave of human destruction by being sheltered from it in various ways (potholing, being underwater in a diving competition, inside a quiz booth). They reasoned that there may be other survivors and the series was spent with the 4 trying to make contact with anyone else out there, and working out how they would re-populate the world - Lawrence & Grady were a couple, but Grady's character couldn't have kids, Lawrence wanted Pickup's prim & proper gentlemanly character to sleep with her but he refused, and Rea's loutish character (sorry, can't remember the character's names) wanted to sleep with Lawrence, but she didn't like him......and that was basically it, but I enjoyed it.

Comment

Thanks Austin Maxi.

Comment

Just thought I'd revive this thread to let you know that 'The Piglet Files' is being released on Network DVD soon.

Comment

Working...
              X