The "Jill" pony stories by Ruby Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Jill" pony stories by Ruby Ferguson

Anyone else used to read these books, about a girl living with her children's author mother in a cottage, who manages to get a pony (initially called Danny Boy in the first book - Jill's Gymkhana - but called Black Boy in subsequent books)? Jill was taught to ride by a man called Martin who was wheelchair bound, and her best friend was Anne and her enemy was the snobby Susan Pyke. Subsequent books included Jill Has Two Ponies and A Stable For Jill.

Re: The "Jill" pony stories by Ruby Ferguson

That's brought back some memories! I was one of those pony mad girls, and probably had most of the "Jill" books. I also enjoyed books by the Pullein-Thompson sisters, Pat Smythe, Monica Dickens (The "Follyfoot" series) Monica Edwards and Joyce Stranger.

Think I would quite like to re-read them......
    Old enough to know better...

Comment

Hey there Popsicle!

Did you also read the "Silver Brumby" series of books by Elyne Michell? (All about Australian wild horses in the outback - the main character was a white horse called Thowra)

Or "My Friend Flicka/Thunderhead/Green Grass of Wyoming" series? Can't remember the author of these, but it was all about a boy rancher called Ken McLoughlin who had a mum called Nell, a tough Dad, a horrible older brother called Howard, and was friends with one of the ranchhands, a Swede called Gus. He chose Flicka - a palomino foal - as his own horse. She was initially considered "loco" and nearly died after an accident, but survived and became tame. In the 2nd trilogy she had a son- Thunderhead - an albino throwback who was completely wild and untameable and ended up being set loose or escaping into the wild. Don't remember much about the "Green Grass...." trilogy, just that it involved an older ,wiser Thunderhead and his offspring, and that Ken was growing into a young man. He and Howard were love rivals for the same girl if I remember.

I was horse and pony mad as a young girl. Desparately wanted riding lessons, and of course my own pony. Never happened.

Comment

Since posting the above, I've been on Amazon - the Jill books are still available (even though I've looked in Smiths/Waterstone's etc for years and never seen them - thought my daughter might like), as indeed are the Silver Brumby books and the Flicka/Thunderhead/Green Grass of Wyoming books (written by Mary O'Hara)

Comment

I was a fellow pony/horse mad girl.
          My bedroom was covered in pics of ponies and horses and I had lessons every week at a riding school.

As an obsessed Follyfoot fan, I did read the books and I used to get equine related mags all the time.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Yes, Mazza, I did indeed have the Mary OHara books, I loved all the Flicka / Thunderhead stories. I also read the Silver Brumby books too-I had forgotton them till you mentioned them!

There is a nice "Follyfoot" website Follyfoot-The Ultimate Tribute Fansite which will bring back some memories for fans.

Comment

I loved Follyfoot - on telly, I never read the books.
              Can you remember the name of Jill's other pony? In "Jill Has Two Ponies" she buys a second pony, but doesn't like him to start off with, even though everyone else does. She loves him by the end of course, and he appeared alongside Black Boy in the subsequent books. But what WAS his name? Jiggered if I can remember!

Comment

Sorry, I cannot remember the other pony's name either!

Was looking on eBay earlier, the old Monica Edwards books seem to be worth a few quid these days! I used to enjoy her "Punchbowl Farm" books.

"Follyfoot" books by Monica Dickens are a lot cheaper to buy, and have been re-issued more often.

Comment

The second pony was called 'Rapide' apparently.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...Has_Two_Ponies

Comment

Working...
                  X