BBC's Nationwide - Dilys Morgan & Michael Barratt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC's Nationwide - Dilys Morgan & Michael Barratt

Does anyone remember the wonderful BBC Current affairs television series called Nationwide?
    I remember watching it in the late 70s and early 80s.
    One of the presenters was the attractive Dilys Morgan.
    Though it seems photos of Dilys are as rare as hen's teeth

Co-Presenter Michael Barret (20 years her senior) married her. I remember it caused quite a stir.

During its run the show also featured Richard Stilgoe Sue Lawley Frank Bough Michael Barratt Valerie Singleton

heres a piece on the show from TVcream
    TV Cream Nationwide

this is the wiki entry
    Nationwide (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

was wondering if the show is on DVD
    this is what wikipedia says

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Archive status

As a contemporary programme Nationwide was only recorded on broadcast videotape in the event of possible complaint or litigation; after a period of time tapes would be wiped and re-used although filmed reports were archived. Consequently only a few complete editions exist in their original form.
    However, in his book The Television Heritage (1989), author Steve Bryant claimed that "a virtually complete collection of the BBC magazine programme Nationwide from 1971 to 1980" existed as domestic recordings.[5] He wrote:
    "Already virtually doomed is material held on early domestic tape formats manufactured by Sony, Shibaden and Philips. The pictures from these tapes are very poor - indeed, the Sony and Shibaden reel-to-reel tapes are monochrome only - but some unique collections exist on these formats. Most significant is a virtually complete collection of the BBC magazine programme Nationwide from 1971 to 1980, mostly on Sony and Shibaden, but on Philips for the programmes after 1977. This collection is held by the NFA (National Film Archive) and represents the only copies of the complete programmes in existence.
    The BBC has all the film reports and a small selection of pre-recorded video inserts, but the programmes themselves were live and were not recorded off-air. Neither the machinery nor the funds are currently available to save the contents of these tapes, so a valuable daily record of British life in the 70s, including a large number of live interviews with leading politicians and celebrities of the time, looks like being lost."[6]
    But the British Film Institute website has stated more recently that "so far we have successfully dubbed 500 [Philips] N-1500 [tapes] as part of an HLF-Funded Nationwide preservation project"[7]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: BBC's Nationwide - Dilys Morgan & Michael Barratt

Remember Nationwide very well indeed!

Comment

Working...
    X