Sesame Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sesame Street

On 10 November 2009, Sesame Street celebrated 40 years on our televisions with the start of their latest series. Proof then, surely, that children still get enjoyment from TV programmes with an element of education in them (Blue Peter's another one that's still going strong).At the time of its launch, using TV in education like this was incredibly revolutionary, a recent study has now found that teens who watched Sesame Street in pre-school or nursery had gained higher school grades than those who had not. Founders Joan Ganz Cooney and Ralph Rogers should be pleased with themselves on that basis alone.It doesn't matter that the series is wholly Americanised for the many British kids watching, and it doesn't matter that this fictional urban street is home to a motley crew of muppets, children and adults - indeed, that's what makes it fun for the five millions viewers who tune in every week to watch! What's more, without Sesame Street we may not have the likes of Jim Henson, who launched his talent here and later went on to create cult films Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. Sesame Street comes with a rich legacy, and prides itself in teaching children social skills, not just maths and spelling. That why topics such as death, divorce, hatred, pregnancy, and love have all been raised in the series, as well as an episode on the Noughties recession more recently, teaching families to stick together in hard times.Of course, the really big topic that needs raising is: who's your favourite Sesame Street resident - Kermit the Frog, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bert or Ernie? And who could forget that most comical of characters, the Count, a kind of vampire that would count "One, hah, hah, hah... two, hah, hah,hah" and so on! They all worked so well together, and at no point more so than when everyone banded together to deliver the Sesame Street alphabet song, led by Big Bird (who's been played by Carroll Spinney for the entire 40 years of production and is now aged 75!). The programme is universally adored by adults and children alike, and as a result the stage show Avenue Q (a rather more risque production for grown-ups) is having huge success. Even US First Lady Michelle Obama got in on the action recently by planting a garden with a helping hand from Big Bird and Elmo.As you'd expect, there was tons of merchandise to come from the Sesame Street TV show, including DVDs, Muppet Babies and Sesame Street Playmates... all adorable, bright and squidgy (apart from the DVDs, of course!).

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Sesame Street

I have to say my favourite characters were always Bert and Ernie.
    They always made me laugh.
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I loved the big hairy dog. As an adult I can appreciate the humour of Oscar the grouch. Apparently my sister's new boyfriend looks like the count....

Comment

This SS sketch I vividly recall as a very young child,I needed to find it as memories from this far back dont usualy surface with me.....
        YouTube - Capital I and Lower Case N (No Logo's)

...Frame.
        "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I could take or leave Sesame Street but what I do remember is how very American it seemed. I loved the shots of kids playing in back lanes in what was clearly very hot summer weather in New York or wherever and was desperate to experience that for myself. On our rare summer days I'd go round the side of our house where the stone steps and bins were to pretend I was in a back lane somewhere like that, hanging out with the Sesame Street gang.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Not for me.Drove me nuts and still does.My younger brother did not take much interest in it either but my much younger sister did like it.One of the things that tends to stick in my mind apart from the ever popular puppets and big bird was the cartoon pieces they included in the show.They took the tiddle out of one of these cartoon segments in family guy when stu became the ball in the pin ball machine.It wasn't the puppets I did not like,but the presenters and the area where the program was shot in.I remember my brother saying stick of bread once to my parants and getting told off as it was a loaf not a stick of bread.The puppets were probably the best thing about the show.Got to love that later spin off the muppet show but then it did not seem too american.Guess they got the balance right that time.

Comment

i watched sesame street everyday with my daughter ........she learned such a lot and we enjoyed the time we spent together .......ernie and bert my favs

Comment

Aw Seseme Street..I loved it. Most memorable bits for me..Kermit's News Flashes, the Ernie and Bert sketches. The 'Two little dolls in a little doll's house' (with the clumsy cats). 'It's a lovely eleven morning' song, with your one falling into the pig sty. The 'Golden An' sketch with the scary bushy eyebrowed cop! 'A loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter'. The bit with the grapefruit(?) or something,opera singing with a mop for hair.

Comment

watched it all the time on channel 4

news flashes where classy.
                  also cookie monster and the one that lived in a bin what was he called again.

grouch or something.
                  bert and ernie great duo.

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
                  Aw Seseme Street..I loved it. Most memorable bits for me..Kermit's News Flashes, the Ernie and Bert sketches. The 'Two little dolls in a little doll's house' (with the clumsy cats). 'It's a lovely eleven morning' song, with your one falling into the pig sty. The 'Golden An' sketch with the scary bushy eyebrowed cop! 'A loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter'. The bit with the grapefruit(?) or something,opera singing with a mop for hair.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                  X