Home Economics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Economics

It was called food tech at my secondary school and it was compulsory in Y7 and Y8 as part of the technology subjects. The teacher was fat cow although I was informed that she liked most of the Y10 and Y11 kids who took food tech for GCSE and only got stressed out with the Y7 and Y8 kids. I remember her shouting "there's naw more pastry left" when the class was making pies and "who threw this wodge of cheese in the bin" but nobody owned up to it.

In one lesson we discussed kitchen safety and I mentioned the possibility of taking an item out of the microwave to stir it with a metal spoon then accidentally leaving the spoon in when putting the item back in the microwave, then next minute the microwave explodes. The teacher was not one bit impressed. I later mentioned pressure cookers exploding because of defective safety valves which resulted in me being sent out of the class for being silly despite telling the teacher that I have seen the result of a pressure cooker exploding in real life.

Comment

Oh dear thats a bad mistake leaving a metal spoon in the microwave.
      :d

u made some boo boos didnt u mate.

U were sent out cause u told the pressure cooker story straight after blowing up the microwave.haha

Originally posted by arran View Post
      it was called food tech at my secondary school and it was compulsory in y7 and y8 as part of the technology subjects. The teacher was fat cow although i was informed that she liked most of the y10 and y11 kids who took food tech for gcse and only got stressed out with the y7 and y8 kids. I remember her shouting "there's naw more pastry left" when the class was making pies and "who threw this wodge of cheese in the bin" but nobody owned up to it.

In one lesson we discussed kitchen safety and i mentioned the possibility of taking an item out of the microwave to stir it with a metal spoon then accidentally leaving the spoon in when putting the item back in the microwave, then next minute the microwave explodes. The teacher was not one bit impressed. I later mentioned pressure cookers exploding because of defective safety valves which resulted in me being sent out of the class for being silly despite telling the teacher that i have seen the result of a pressure cooker exploding in real life.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Nobody microwaved any metal objects during my time at the school. All I did was suggest a potentially hazardous situation during a class discussion on kitchen safety. Another kid told a story about throwing a burning chip pan out of a back door. That didn't go down well with the teacher either.

Comment

I remember someone put a metal bowl in a microwave but stopped it before there were many sparks!

I'm surprised there weren't many other incidents at school during home ec, I did manage to cut myself once, but that's the only really serious one I can think of.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There seemed to be lots of kids making food with tomato based sauces then someone came up with "Ragu Ragu brings the spew out of you" as a play on the Ragu commercial.

Now, is ratatoullie made with rat meat?

Comment

Things I remember in Home Ec:

Before you moved from Junior School to Senior School, they had a half day where you'd all go to the new school and do some sample lessons, we did Home Ec and made Chocolate Crackles, possibly to make you think the scary new big school wasn't so bad, being bribed with making your own sweets!

We also made lots of stuff but I only remember, Welsh Rarebit, Some type of Soup (which leaked in my school bag), Bread and Butter Pudding (which my granddad loved, he was living with us at the time after my nan died) so I made it a few times for him. My mum still has the school cook book we used.

I remember in one lesson there was a problem with the equipment so we spent the whole lesson playing Dungeons and Dragons (not sure where that came from!) and it was the one and only time I ever played that.

In the needlework class I remember making puppets, that's all.

Our Tutor Group was based in one of the Home Ec rooms (second year), the first year we were in an art room, then a science room for 3rd then a lecture theatre for the remainder.

Comment

I made apple tart and apple crumble.
                Id bring stuff home but no one ate anything i made.

think my teacher was called miss lester.

Comment

True Mulletino about the Rice Crispy Bun type things. We also made Cakes too and Welsh Rarebit too.

Some of my happiest times was in H.E Lessons (though I don't wanna say aloud on the Forum but would tell in a PM) though

How cool that was too having your Tutor Group in the H.E Room!! Ace as!!

80sChav

Comment

Making chocolate truffles shortly before Christmas and bringing in a bottle of single malt Scotch to flavour them with caused a bit of consternation.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                      Making chocolate truffles shortly before Christmas and bringing in a bottle of single malt Scotch to flavour them with caused a bit of consternation.
                      I remember some boys in my form taking nips of rum essence & pretending to be drunk from it.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Successfully making American frosting to cover a cake with. Something that the food tech teacher didn't know how to make herself. I had to bring in a thermometer with a probe because it's impossible to make it without one.

Teachers don't like it when kids know more than they do. I had plenty of practice making American frosting at home so I knew it would turn out perfect.

Comment

Thats true but theres always a slim chance u mite know something the teacher mite not know how to do.:d

im sure i must have done something other that apple tarts and apple crumble such as chocolate cake.

We where asked to bring in a tin to take it home in.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                          successfully making american frosting to cover a cake with. Something that the food tech teacher didn't know how to make herself. I had to bring in a thermometer with a probe because it's impossible to make it without one.

Teachers don't like it when kids know more than they do. I had plenty of practice making american frosting at home so i knew it would turn out perfect.

Comment

There's probably a lot of kids of foreign origin who know how to make certain recipes that very few food tech teacher know how to make - like a proper curry.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              Interesting you say home economics was compulsory while you where at secondary school.

You say your first 3 yrs at secondary school i thought pupils where only at secondary school for 3 yrs.

I finished school in 1991 and i cant recall home economics being compulsory but i do think its a great idea.

I do think c d t and home economics both sound better than what they got changed too.

Home economics was just that pure cooking when i did it at school.
                              WewouldhavehadascreamtogetheratschoolDarrenmate!!

H.E was just amazing for me as was Art - two of the best but most creative and easy going doss subjects, a kid who wants fun and a laugh with mates could wish for!

Comment

Was home economics called home economics because it was about teaching kids to economise at home?

When my mother was at school it was called home economics and the teacher regularly lectured kids about saving money in the kitchen by buying cheaper (and often lower quality) ingredients and how to save on gas or electricity by cooking several items together in an oven. There was none of this healthy eating back then and kids were expected to use lard in some recipes because it's cheaper than butter or vegetable fats. It was frowned upon for kids to use any exotic or expensive ingredients when preparing recipes.

Comment

Working...
                                X