Eurovision contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eurovision contest

I think that the UK's success with Katrina in 1997 was well deserved - so many countries voting for us, not like nowadays!

There was also Jemini and Daz Sampson, but they are a lot more recent.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thinking about Israel's win just now reminded me of their successful run in the late 1970s - give me Milk and Honey's Hallelujah any day of the week rather than the sub-Norman Collier chicken impersonation.

I do wish that the contest was straightforward just like its 1970s heyday. Cliff Richard or the Brotherhood of Man never had to put up with intruders on the stage and sabotaging their songs, did they?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I enjoyed the show this weekend, the quality is much higher that the 70s, when I was first watching it...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Ive not saw it for a long time at least 10 yrs.
          one reason being is countries will vote for each o
          ther cause their neighbours such as the scandinavian nations etc.

Although they do now have semi finals so only the better nations songs get to the main final.

Also didnt like how australia were in it last year as they aint a euro nation.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I thought the standard of songs was very good this year, Israel's was quirky but deserved to win, & 3-4 others I would have been happy with winning.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Agreed that Israel's song was the catchiest and, in the post Harvey Weinstein world lyrics about not treating women like toys captured the Zeitgeist perfectly. Thought Denmark's (Viking/ Game of Thrones vibe) deserved to do better than 4th.

My favourite all-time Eurovision songs are the 1992 Greek one by Cleopatra - Olou tou Kosmou and Vicki Leandros singing L'Amour est Bleue back in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Neither is Israel...

Comment

Neither is Canada, Armenia or Morocco.
                  As long as they're members of the Eurovision Broadcasting Union though, any country is eligible to participate in the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    Neither is Israel...
                    I have heard that with Israel though - that the matter is same as with Football - that there would be near on riots etc, aas all sides juyst can not get on, if they got put into say a Song Contest as with Football Matches - which I am sure their Middle Eastern Neighbours runsimilar contests to the Euros as is with Football

Though by rights parts of Russia and in-particular Turkey are both situated on two continents and often participate - Turkey more so as a bridge in Istambul links the European part and the Aisan/Middle Eastern part as I am sure is similar with parts of Russia (or ex USSR like Kazahstan and Georgia etc - but by the same token Siberia is only 20 miles over the Water (if that) to Alaska - so make of that what you will!

@ Dartren - as though as muchg much as I am a proud Englishman who has extremley remote Irishness in him (though I am not going to reve4al my real name on here - it's as Irish as Baileys) I also have lins to Australia by blood (though again not-direct) but through my Mum's Auntiew and Uncle becoming Honourable Austaliuan's in the 60ss - as much as people condem the Australian and say nasty things about them in how the place was founded - for me Australia and the British Isles are the greatest Nations on earth and as much and though it was an extremley crazy idea adding Australia (abliet as a "Guest Nation") I agree with the idea , in that as well England, Ireland and Austrlia are so linked now in Modern Times I feel and I just love the thought of them being involved. In conclusion i would have them as Guests" fgor as long as they are happy to be in it - I think it'd be acurate of me to say

80sChav
                    Last edited by 80sChav; 04-06-2018, 21:34.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      Ive not saw it for a long time at least 10 yrs.
                      one reason being is countries will vote for each o
                      ther cause their neighbours such as the scandinavian nations etc.

Although they do now have semi finals so only the better nations songs get to the main final.

I agree Darren - all this is true mate yes, with the likes of Dana and Brotherhood of Man and Abba wining how they did with Waterloo - as time just moves on etc and that is all it becomes (not a Musical Contest)! .... but hey though we can but hope/dream right!!!

80sChav

Comment

"with Israel though - that the matter is same as with Football"

Which is why Israel, despite being a Middle Eastern country, is obliged to compete in the European group for the World Cup qualifiers. Several islamic states refuse to compete against Jews.

Comment

RIP Teddy Johnson... :cry:

Attached Files

Comment

Bucks Fizz stands out for me, I remember we used to try and replicate the dance I still watch it some years just because it's so different and feels nostalgic somehow, actually I quite liked the Viking song this year, but it gave me an 'ear worm'.

Comment

I think the quality of (most of) the music these days is really high!

Comment

Working...
                              X