car spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car spotting

did anyone else play car spotting? we would sit for ages writing down what cars had gone by and what colour they were. or write down the registrations.you couldnt do that these days could you!
    maybe they were training us up to be traffic wardens!lol.

OMG that's so weird i was talking to hubbie about how we entertained ourselves as kids and we used to play car spotting first it would be colours then makes then we had to say what the car was make and model before it got to us.
    No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

yep thats what we did.can you imagine trying to do it today!you`d never catch what all the cars are let alone have chance to write it all down,so many cars all driving much faster than when we were kids. god I sound old.lol. I`m not complaining about cars I like anyone love driving, but its such a different world we live in now. I told my son about how we used to play car spotting and he looked at me like I was bonkers!

Comment

I remember going on holidays with my parents and it was usually around August time when the new registration numbers came out and me and my sister playing a game of being the first to spot a car with a new registration number. My father always joined in and was more often than not the first to spot one (perhaps because he was sitting in the front of the car!). I also remember our car was a Saab 99 and whenever my father saw another Saab he would flash his lights at them. What was that all about???

Comment

It must just be a saab thing, i have a yellow saab convertible and if i pass another yellow saab they flash at me lol!
          No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

Up to '87 in Ireland car reg's contained three letters, one of which was "I" so you'd see lots of: VIP, TIN, SID, PIP, FIT, MIX, PIE etc. Then they adopted a new format with the year in figures and area code ( eg 06 KK 12345 ). Boo-ring !
            Tanas : I drive a red 2-door Suzuki Swift and whenever I meet a "twin sister" the driver and I wave at each other !
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Car Spotting

I think people who drive camper vans wave and flash their lights aswell. I drive a Ford Fiesta so I'd be worn out after a journey home if I started doing it!!

Comment

Citroen 2CV owners do it as do Morris minor owners. I think it's a case of 'misery loves company'

Comment

Yup, I car-spotted. I must have really bugged my parents by shouting out the names of every single car we passed....especially when I pronounced Peugeots as Pew-gee-otts.

I also remember being gripped with excitement, trying to spot new registration cars before my mates when we drove out on trips. cheap joys, eh?

Comment

Not only cars, but people as well. We used to live in a high area of the city, and had quite a good view of the city below, etc. I used to sit in my parents' room gazing out of their window through a pair of binoculars and writing down anything potentially suspicious that I saw. My parents kept one of the lists I made, and showed me again some years ago. What a tedious load of dross! What the hell was I thinking?

My list went something like:

1.24: woman with dog. dog poos on street. Talks to friend
                    1.26: Mail van goes by
                    1.29. Man in garden digging.

I'd probably get arrested if I did anything like that today. Or sued.
                    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                    Marcel Proust

Comment

Secret lemonade drinker - nowadays, that would be called stalking, ha ha!
                      I car spotted too. Used to love watching for new registrations on August 1st.

Comment

Secret lemonade drinker..... I think you may have invented neighbourhood watch!

Comment

Damn it, I could have made a fortune from my voyeuristic tendencies if I'd called it 'neighbourhood watch'. As it was, I just liked watching people run about on rainy days trying not to get wet. As amusing 20 years ago as it is now...
                          The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                          Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by tanas
                            I also remember our car was a Saab 99 and whenever my father saw another Saab he would flash his lights at them. What was that all about???
                            its all about camadarie with fellow drivers of relatively rare motors.............nothing sad about it at all.......honest

Comment

OK I believe you!! You've obviously got a rare motor yourself ay?

Comment

Working...
                              X