• Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Ahhhh... thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I don't think she visited for years because of the above reasons.
      I am correct!
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        I think that Arran is mostly referring to the years during The Troubles, the IRA, and the security which is why the Queen has never stayed in Northern Ireland over Christmas - am I correct?
        The Queen intensified her visits to Northern Ireland after 2000 but she still hasn't spent a Christmas there.

The official residence of the Queen in Northern Ireland is Hillsborough Castle.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          The Queen intensified her visits to Northern Ireland after 2000 but she still hasn't spent a Christmas there.

The official residence of the Queen in Northern Ireland is Hillsborough Castle.
          And the Queen hardly ever stays there? Mind you, I think of the name Hillsborough in a different way since 1989...
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
            I really don't care ( putting it politely) for the Royals to be honest for sooooo many reasons .. mainly because of what Charles did to Lady Di and the way the Royal family treated her .. plus the hunting they all seem to indulge themselves in ..

That said I do like Di's two sons especially Harry who I'd like to take over from Queenie

I've also always been intrigued with Henry Vlll ..

Now I dont want to upset my UK friends on this forum.. but I have to concur with Zincubus about your Royal family. Let me say first off I greatly admire Queen Liz and liked Di, also like Harry and William and wife. But they are your Royal family not Australias. Yet Monachists and Royal watchers in my country wanna shove them down our throats every minute. It was them that pushed for the Parliament to elect the Head of State during Australia's 1999 Republic vote. They knew full well the Aussie voter would never accept that as most of us wanted to popularly elect the President. So the end result was the Republic vote was defeated and we are still waiting for a return vote. Succeeding governments have stayed clear of this controversial subject until Malcolm Turnball mentioned a vote was on the cards but not while Queen Liz sat on the throne. Now out left leaning Labor Party has promised a plebiscite at the next general election on the subject. If it passes then they will present a new vote on a Republic in its first term. While this pleases me I have never voted for Labor in my life. So I am facing somewhat of a conundrum.

Sorry to hijack this thread.. which is one of a happy occasion.

Comment

The likelihood of Harry becoming king is remote, as William and his children are next in succession after Charles, and any grandchildren William has will push Harry even further down the line.

Comment

The Royal Family may be British, but Australia is part of the Commonwealth.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  The likelihood of Harry becoming king is remote, as William and his children are next in succession after Charles, and any grandchildren William has will push Harry even further down the line.
                  I've never agreed or understood that system to be fair .. it would make more sense to give it to William and then Harry ...

I will start a petition to get King Harry .. and let the masses speak [emoji4]

Comment

Thinking about it, Princess Margaret could have been first in line to throne while she was alive rather than Prince Charles in that sense.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Remember that any law to change the route of succession would also have to be agreed by every Commonwealth country that had the monarch as its head of state and would probably require those countries to pass their own legislation to completely comply with that enacted in the UK, otherwise the path of succession would not be clear as it is now, and you could end up with the situation of different Commonwealth nations recognising different monarchs as their head of state. The monarch belongs equally to all countries who recognise he or she as their head of state.

Comment

Thinking about it, Princess Margaret could have been first in line to throne while she was alive rather than Prince Charles in that sense.
                        Excellent.. Charles is a lewd minded , adulterer . I actuality hate him for the way he ruined Di's life

Comment

The Royal Family may be British, but Australia is part of the Commonwealth.
                          Officially I suppose. But before the 1999 Republic vote Queen Liz allbut gave her permission for us to pursue this constitutional path. She said at the time and has reiterated since, that as Australia was a sovereign, independent nation she has a rite to decide her own future. Or words to that affect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            I've never agreed or understood that system to be fair .. it would make more sense to give it to William and then Harry ...

I will start a petition to get King Harry .. and let the masses speak [emoji4]

I will also push for Harry. I admire that man so much. He won over us Aussies during the Invictus Games.

The other bone of contention for we Republicans is a need to change the current Oz flag to something with a greater Australian identity. The removal of the Union Jack from it.. for a start.

Comment

Christmas puddings, mince pies, and mincemeat in jars made with beef suet no longer appears to exist with the possible exception of luxury or artisan brands. Any ideas when it was phased out?

Comment

My late father used to make his own mince pies with mincemeat and pastry, and I have to say that they looked nothing like the ones inside the Mr Kipling boxes in the shops when they were taken out of the oven - they looked too hard and flaky and looked as if they had been ran over by a steamroller.

Give me shop bought ones anytime - I would not even attempt to do my own. (I didn't do GCSE Home Economics as one of my options as you may have guessed).
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X