No announcement yet.

Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did eventually put my Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve - I feel that one needs to be in the mood for doing that.

I don't think that I would fancy a curry on Christmas Day or on most days of the year either.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• I wonder what people think of that "bridge" between Christmas and New Year, notably 27th to 30th December? The January sales are on (advertised like mad during Coronation Street and ITV films), and I often use those few days to travel on the bus to the City Centre and buy items that I wanted for Christmas but didn't get for some reason. I use it to go to WHSmith (sometimes if I have vouchers) and get an autobiography of some celebrity, as well as probably get a new calendar or diary in those pre-Calendar Club days. And then get a McDonald's takeaway before catching the bus home where it would be after 4.00 pm and so it would already be dark. And the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures would be on TV later.

I know that a few years ago, I was in Tesco shopping on one of those days and overheard someone say how relaxing those days are.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• It looks like I'll be working between Christmas & New Year due to someone in my department is going on maternity leave & the temp covering her will still be picking up the ropes.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

• Just think of the extra loot, Richard - they will always pay you extra when working shifts on days when most would like to stay at home.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Top floor of the Co-op department store in Nottingham circa 1985 where the toys and games section was, and going up there either via the lift or the wonderful looking staircase. (When I think of 1985 I always have the earworm of Madonna singing Into the Groove and Kate Bush going on about Running Up that Hill). Cue staff member in white beard and red cloak (sound familiar?) in this entry seeing youngsters such as myself. Girl before me in queue wanted a Game of Life and a beanbag (I hope that she got them!), but ironically enough, I cannot remember what I had asked for! I might have mentioned this a few times before on here, but then again, looking at the TV schedules, Christmas is indeed the time for repeats!

And I always wanted to know (circa 1987) why Father Christmas and my late mother actually had the same handwriting - I was probably old enough to know better by then...
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• This will be one of the quieter (and sadder) Christmases for us having lost a long time member of the family back in July. For the first time we've decided to just skip the presents, nobody wanting anything particularly. Still doing the big stuffed turkey and sprouts dins however, five of us and a small dog. We always have Chinese take away on the Eve and doing that with a smaller order. I suppose there will be a King's address?
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowpages1997.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	299556
                http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

• As a child and in my teens we had three TV channels, bbc1, bbc2 and itv.
                  How wonderful that was. We would look forward to the premier showing of a film and the fantastic comedies to watch.
                  Less choice but more to watch!

Comment

• Is that Yellow Pages advert still shown on TV? - has it been shown this year, yet? I believe it was first shown in 1992-1993 and the year of one of the front covers (the Reading edition?) was seen.

Firstly, it wasn't Robbie Williams (neither the Take That star or the snooker player) who stepped onto the rather large Yellow Pages. Secondly, Yellow Pages have shrunk in size over the years (probably due to firms going ex-directory) so that it would have been quite difficult for that lad to step onto it to kiss his... friend.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                      As a child and in my teens we had three TV channels, bbc1, bbc2 and itv.
                      How wonderful that was. We would look forward to the premier showing of a film and the fantastic comedies to watch.
                      Less choice but more to watch!
                      Despite having Sky, I wish it was still like that now - 30 million watching Morecambe and Wise; 20 million watching Blankety Blank, and a middle-aged Queen Elizabeth II with black hair right on cue at 3.00 pm.

Even with Channel 4 arriving, we still had that in the 1980s, although after Eric Morecambe's death had put a dent in traditional entertainment as we knew it.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        Is that Yellow Pages advert still shown on TV? - has it been shown this year, yet? I believe it was first shown in 1992-1993 and the year of one of the front covers (the Reading edition?) was seen.

Firstly, it wasn't Robbie Williams (neither the Take That star or the snooker player) who stepped onto the rather large Yellow Pages. Secondly, Yellow Pages have shrunk in size over the years (probably due to firms going ex-directory) so that it would have been quite difficult for that lad to step onto it to kiss his... friend.
                        I'm surprised the kid didn't feel like he was kissing an older sister given how much taller and older looking she is. Why didn't they use a girl his age?

Comment

• Good point - it does look like a brother and sister relationship which makes it more innocent. Growing up with two older sisters I can almost imagine it like that!

The thing is, how old was he supposed to be at the time, hence a girl of his age?
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Finally put up the tree this morning - one has to motivate to get things done.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                              Good point - it does look like a brother and sister relationship which makes it more innocent. Growing up with two older sisters I can almost imagine it like that!

The thing is, how old was he supposed to be at the time, hence a girl of his age?
                              They could have got a taller girl that was his ruddy age not one obviously older than him. To an actual little boy like he was she's practically a grown up.

Comment

Working...
                              X