Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Christmas growing up in the late 70's/early 80's was pure pleasure for myself. I was fortunate that my parents bought me a load of Star Wars figures/ships over several Christmases and I always love remembering back to those days. I used to wake up really early at 4am just to see what I had got from Santa, back to bed for a couple of hours before playing with whatever gifts I'd received later on. From mid morning the waft of turkey being cooked made you hungry. I enjoyed watching Digby The Biggest Dog In The World and the Christmas TV specials on the box such as Morecable & Wise and Mike Yarwood. If only I could go back and relieve those days once more.

Comment

Nice memories akb48fan - this is my era too and I remember watching Digby a time or two. That's something I really miss - the specials at Christmas. I don't think we'll ever see those times again alas.

Comment

Always looked forward to visiting my cousins at Christmas as my younger cousin Roderick was the baby of the family, ill most of the time, and therefore spoilt rotten, he always had the most amazing toys and games. One Christmas he actually got Cross-fire.....that was a pretty big deal back then as cost a bit, ....anyway the spoilt bitch wouldn't let my sister and myself near it, the angels however smiled down on us as he was smitten down with a massive asthma attack and had to sit out in the garden in the freezing Glasweigan air, my sister and myself seized the opportunity with glee and were really getting into a festive game of jolly old Cross-Fire when his cross mother appeared in his bedroom doorway and ordered us downstairs to console our wilting wee cousin, we couldn't understand why she was so angry!

Comment

Christmas eve waiting for the log/coal fire to burn out.because santa would get burnt coming down the chimneygoing to bed with a ex large pillow case at the bottom of the bed.Waking up on xmas morning and saying he,s been the pillow case full of presents

Comment

Christmas in the mid 80s for me would properly begin when the school term ended around the 20th/21st of December, although I always secretly started the countdown from the Autumn term in September. I always loved receiving my Advent Calendar, the type, I always several times over requested was the traditional, but with the sliders / 3D layered effect sort, the countdown seem so slow, until you reached the 20s' (coinciding perhaps with the end of term) then the final days would be a blur. Christmas Eve morning would usually be a trip in to town with mum to pick up the last few dinner pieces, followed by a breakfast at Debenhams then a lift home from an impatient dad.

The rest of the afternoon would be spent watching TV, the Blue Peter Christmas Eve programme always being the best of the year, then in 1984, The Box of Delights. I always had a captivation of when BBC1 would change their usual idents to the Christmas ones which usually occurred in the 80s around late afternoon, a moment I looked forward to as it mean it was now Christmas 'proper'. This usually led to a bath, new bed linen and a scrub-up before driving to my grandparents for a Christmas Eve gathering with a buffet.

The family reunion usually ended around half past midnight by which time I would be bursting for it to be Christmas Day, we would drive home in foggy weather, watch a bit of TV then go to bed. Christmas Day usually started with a stocking at the bottom of the bed with a few good puzzle stocking fillers, Quality Street, and in later years the latest NOW compilation cassette which went immediately on repeat, and by 6am my sister and I would be waking the house up. We probably had to wait a good hour for tea to be made and then finally were allowed downstairs (which mum had already been down to, to start the turkey cooking since around 5am) and then the lounge door was opened.

Comment

yes defo I use to love it xmas eve would take for ever to end wanted go bed at 7pm lol I was always up early mum and dad use to hear me get up and say hes not been yet go back to bed lol

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Christmas eve waiting for the log/coal fire to burn out.because santa would get burnt coming down the chimneygoing to bed with a ex large pillow case at the bottom of the bed.Waking up on xmas morning and saying he,s been the pillow case full of presents
              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                yes defo I use to love it xmas eve would take for ever to end wanted go bed at 7pm lol I was always up early mum and dad use to hear me get up and say hes not been yet go back to bed lol
                Exactly especially when you wake up at around 5am,my dad would shout santa is watching go back to bed now

Comment

TO THE BED AT 7 UR PARENTS WHERE SUPER STRICT.

WHAT AGE WHERE U THEN.

MOST CHRISTMAS EVE'S FOR ME THE EXCITEMENT WAS UNBEARABLE THE DAY JUST DRAGGED AND I WAS NOT TO GET UP THE NXT DAY BEFORE THE PARENTS GOT UP.

MOST TIMES THEY DIDNT GET UP UNTIL 8AM.

ID KNOCK THE BEDROOM DOOR CAN I GO DOWN YET NO NOT YET TILL WE GET UP.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was very young 5 or 6 maybe long time ago but can still see we lived in a terraced house with open stair case remember lieing on top of the top step just to see if he had been lol
                    Originally posted by darren View Post
                    TO THE BED AT 7 UR PARENTS WHERE SUPER STRICT.

WHAT AGE WHERE U THEN.

MOST CHRISTMAS EVE'S FOR ME THE EXCITEMENT WAS UNBEARABLE THE DAY JUST DRAGGED AND I WAS NOT TO GET UP THE NXT DAY BEFORE THE PARENTS GOT UP.

MOST TIMES THEY DIDNT GET UP UNTIL 8AM.

ID KNOCK THE BEDROOM DOOR CAN I GO DOWN YET NO NOT YET TILL WE GET UP.
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

i remember writing out a list of what i anted or did i imagine that list bit minds gone foggy over the last 3 decades:d.

But i do remember leaving biccies and milk for santa on the kitchen table.
                      Seems he liked it cause when i got up it was gone.

Comment

Our 'stockings' were huge Toys R Us bags.
                        Unwrapped presents and wrapping paper all over the floor and our parents got out the bin bags to throw out the wrapping paper.
                        Fruit bowls were filled with numerous chocolate bars and I would be staring at them, badly wanting one.
                        One year we put little chocolates on the tree and when I was alone I would pinch a few. Oops.

Comment

One memory that sticks out the most was the year that my parents broke the illusion of Santa delivering presents on Christmas Eve. Must have been 7 or 8 at the time. I woke up to go the toilet after midnight and when I went back to bed I heard a bang coming down the hall. It turned out to be my parents trying to sneak my brand new bike into the house. The back wheel must have hit the door going into the lounge. I didn't show myself to my parents at all, I just went quietly back to bed but the damage had been done. I knew then that Santa wasn't real!!

Comment

and when did u tell your parents that from that night on you knew santa was not real or did you tell them.

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                            one memory that sticks out the most was the year that my parents broke the illusion of santa delivering presents on christmas eve. Must have been 7 or 8 at the time. I woke up to go the toilet after midnight and when i went back to bed i heard a bang coming down the hall. It turned out to be my parents trying to sneak my brand new bike into the house. The back wheel must have hit the door going into the lounge. I didn't show myself to my parents at all, i just went quietly back to bed but the damage had been done. I knew then that santa wasn't real!!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              and when did u tell your parents that from that night on you knew santa was not real or did you tell them.
                              I did tell them a couple of years later that they'd been rumbled that night!!!

Comment

How did they feel about it.

You did well to hide your disappointment that same chrimbo.

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                                i did tell them a couple of years later that they'd been rumbled that night!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X