Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    Interesting how we are both kinda controlled by our obsessive ways isn't it ??

Does it not bother you that her speech is written by the prime minister's people ?
    I am not really bothered who writes it - it's who reads it that matters.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      I am not really bothered who writes it - it's who reads it that matters.
      That is interesting.. so you like the Queen in particular rather than the traditional Queen's speech !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is interesting.. so you like the Queen in particular rather than the traditional Queen's speech !?

She's a bit too old for me - besides, I think that the Duke of Edinburgh might object!

No, I just think that the Royal Family is all about being British and showing our true identity - I think that they are a good excuse to celebrate what is positive about Great Britain and it makes a huge change from all the negative stuff that this country is famous for. In a nutshell, I don't want to see this country end up with a President just like the United States and other countries. If it means a bit of Union Jack flying and singing the National Anthem all the time then so be it.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

She's a bit too old for me - besides, I think that the Duke of Edinburgh might object!

No, I just think that the Royal Family is all about being British and showing our true identity - I think that they are a good excuse to celebrate what is positive about Great Britain and it makes a huge change from all the negative stuff that this country is famous for. In a nutshell, I don't want to see this country end up with a President just like the United States and other countries. If it means a bit of Union Jack flying and singing the National Anthem all the time then so be it.
          I can understand that viewpoint..

I wasn't suggesting you fancied the Queen

I really like James Hetfield ( Metallica ) that's nowt to do with fancying him LOL

Comment

I wasn't suggesting you fancied the Queen
            I know that! Her Lady in Waiting is quite aware of my correspondence to Buckingham Palace in recent years however.

Catherine Middleton or Meghan Markle would probably be a lot closer to my own age group!
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I know that! Her Lady in Waiting is quite aware of my correspondence to Buckingham Palace in recent years however.

Catherine Middleton or Meghan Markle would probably be a lot closer to my own age group!
              I really don't care ( putting it politely) for the Royals to be honest for sooooo many reasons .. mainly because of what Charles did to Lady Di and the way the Royal family treated her .. plus the hunting they all seem to indulge themselves in ..

That said I do like Di's two sons especially Harry who I'd like to take over from Queenie

I've also always been intrigued with Henry Vlll ..

Comment

The Queen has never spent a Christmas in Northern Ireland.

Comment

The queens speech is something we have always ignored on telly. As a kid we were always more interested in playing or being wrapped up in other family things. As an adult I could not really give a monkeys.

I can remember some of our decorations being many years old especially the glass baubles.

Comment

I really don't care ( putting it politely) for the Royals to be honest for sooooo many reasons .. mainly because of what Charles did to Lady Di and the way the Royal family treated her .. plus the hunting they all seem to indulge themselves in ..

That said I do like Di's two sons especially Harry who I'd like to take over from Queenie

I've also always been intrigued with Henry Vlll ..
                    I did GCSE History at school which I think is one reason. Mind you, in the mid 1990s The Sun seemed to think that the Royal Family was some sort of soap opera around the time of the Charles and Diana divorce - and then Diana was killed not long afterwards.

No, I can live with it - soap operas on Christmas Day I can't live with - all that bickering from characters "oh, I'm having an affair" and "I'm going off with him" and "I've just screwed her" etc. At least Channel 5 has given Home and Away a break for obvious reasons. Perhaps the State Opening of Parliament on Christmas Day would be a lot better than all that?
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                      The queens speech is something we have always ignored on telly. As a kid we were always more interested in playing or being wrapped up in other family things. As an adult I could not really give a monkeys.

I can remember some of our decorations being many years old especially the glass baubles.
                      To be honest, I didn't pay much attention when I was a child back in the 1980s - I was probably a lot more interested in playing with toys I had as presents than that sort of thing. I think that it was from 2002 onwards (because of the Golden Jubilee celebrations mostly) that I have taken an interest in what the Queen has to say. Tastes change as we get older, along with society in general advancing over the years and I think that has a lot to do with it.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

All sorts of people watch the Queen on Christmas day. Not all are Royalists or even particularly admire her. Some people even watch the Queen to look at surrounding features - like the baubles on the tree.

Remember the Annus Horribilis speech? It was a bit before my time but you can find it on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                          Neither have I.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                            Have I missed something ??

Comment

Have I missed something ??
                              I think that Arran is mostly referring to the years during The Troubles, the IRA, and the security which is why the Queen has never stayed in Northern Ireland over Christmas - am I correct?
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think that Arran is mostly referring to the years during The Troubles, the IRA, and the security which is why the Queen has never stayed in Northern Ireland over Christmas - am I correct?
                                I don't think she visited for years because of the above reasons.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X