Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Default Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Until I looked up about Rudolf, I didn't know how recent he had been created.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Prior to the 30s he was depicted in various colours, red being the most common, but I can't say that green was one of them.

This is similar to how Rudolf has been associated as the most prominent reindeer to the detriment of the traditional eight. Ask the average person on the street to name one of the reindeer and most probably it will be Rudolf.
    The thing about the 1930s as I have said before is that most archive evidence of anything like that would almost certainly be in black and white - there are very few people still around who would probably remember detail from the 1930s like that.

When one thinks about Rudolf as in the song, we think of his red nose as a characteristic, don't we? The irony is that these days "red noses" are more associated with Comic Relief rather than Christmas, and I bet that one or two people would assume that connection as well. As the song ends "you'll go down in history". Quite right too.

Wasn't that song first performed in the 1940s and if that was the case, it is seen as relatively recent in terms of how long traditions associated with Christmas have been going on?
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    The thing about the 1930s as I have said before is that most archive evidence of anything like that would almost certainly be in black and white - there are very few people still around who would probably remember detail from the 1930s like that.

When one thinks about Rudolf as in the song, we think of his red nose as a characteristic, don't we? The irony is that these days "red noses" are more associated with Comic Relief rather than Christmas, and I bet that one or two people would assume that connection as well. As the song ends "you'll go down in history". Quite right too.

Wasn't that song first performed in the 1940s and if that was the case, it is seen as relatively recent in terms of how long traditions associated with Christmas have been going on?

Yes, I think there is quite a bit of truth to that. Traditians that we assume to be very old are actually fairly recent. That makes me wonder how Christmas traditians will change and evolve over the decades to come. I have little doubt that Christmas itself will survive, but how it will be celebrated in 50 or 100 years time is interesting.

It's interesting that a lot of people say that they are "starting a tradition" - the question is, how do we know it will be a tradition if it has only just started? That so-called tradition could possibly only happen just for that year (or a couple of years at the most) and then it stops. It needs to run for many years before anyone can call it a tradition, and I bet that even Christmas was like that back in the first century.

The Queen (or "The King" before her) has broadcast on television at 3.00 pm on Christmas Day since the 1950s at least, and has prepared a speech since the 1930s - now that is traditional to recent generations, but it is a relatively new thing when one thinks of how a lot of traditions have been going on.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).