Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Default Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

My first Christmas card of the season arrived in the post today.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Talking of cards, did anyone else used to make a Christmas card for their parents at school? It was an annual ritual in infants and junior school. Usually involved drawing a Christmas scene or a Santa, that white glue and cotton wool for Santa's beard, snow and so forth. It was also enacted at Easter, where chicks coming out of eggs was a popular motif.

I also remember that at Christmas at secondary school we would be shown a film in the hall. It was a feature film on 16mm rented from a film library. I recall seeing a spaghetti western called Ringo and his Golden Pistol, another western called The Rare Breed, and a Sean Connery film called The Anderson Tapes (with naughty bits removed).

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Talking of cards, did anyone else used to make a Christmas card for their parents at school? It was an annual ritual in infants and junior school. Usually involved drawing a Christmas scene or a Santa, that white glue and cotton wool for Santa's beard, snow and so forth. It was also enacted at Easter, where chicks coming out of eggs was a popular motif.

I also remember that at Christmas at secondary school we would be shown a film in the hall. It was a feature film on 16mm rented from a film library. I recall seeing a spaghetti western called Ringo and his Golden Pistol, another western called The Rare Breed, and a Sean Connery film called The Anderson Tapes (with naughty bits removed).
    Yes we also made christmas and easter cards in art classes, never a good idea to let 8 year old kids loose with a pot of glue. Funny that you mention the anderson tapes Staffslad as i started watching this film a few weeks ago but had to give up on it about 20 minutes in due to picture quality issues.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I remember glitter being a a feature of school Christmas cards, which seemed to get everywhere.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post

I must have done a Christmas card like that at school (cotton wool for the Father Christmas beard and snowman to make it more 2D), and also a Humpty Dumpty one for Easter with a pop up chick inside the card.

Films were also seen at school in the week before Christmas - but it was on a TV screen that we used for showing schools programmes on. Oddly, my Infant school had shown Mary Poppins in the hall just a week or so before it was premiered on BBC 1. In the last few days before we broke up in July, our Comprehensive school shown films such as Jaws - I think it was business as usual then unless we had some special assembly or a special English or Drama lesson. Not quite the same thing, but our Drama teacher used that Channel 4 favourite The Snowman in his Drama lessons to make points about its animation and actions.
    Last edited by George 1978; 5 Days Ago at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember glitter being a a feature of school Christmas cards, which seemed to get everywhere.
    Even when I write out Christmas cards and put them in envelopes nowadays, the glitter seems to escape and goes everywhere - it happens almost every year.

latest christmas nibbles..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kk.jpg  
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Are there any old fashioned Christmas food that not many people eat nowadays?

I was told that evening buffets were common from the 1960s to the 1980s but they have lost popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    Are there any old fashioned Christmas food that not many people eat nowadays?

I was told that evening buffets were common from the 1960s to the 1980s but they have lost popularity.
    Weren't they served on what was similar to an artist's palate with different compartments for the food samples?

You might inspire me for getting something like for my online Christmas food shop if they still exist!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Weren't they served on what was similar to an artist's palate with different compartments for the food samples?
    You can still buy them. They are sometimes used with a hand powered turntable below them often called a Lazy Susan that could once have been a brand name.