Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Mrs Peek's was once a big brand of Christmas pudding. It was ubiquitous in the 1990s but I have not seen it around for about 10 years now.

Mrs Peek was a real person. The wife of one of the founders of Peek Freans biscuits.

There aren't many pictures of older Mrs Peek's packaging on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
      Mrs Peek's was once a big brand of Christmas pudding. It was ubiquitous in the 1990s but I have not seen it around for about 10 years now.

Mrs Peek was a real person. The wife of one of the founders of Peek Freans biscuits.

There aren't many pictures of older Mrs Peek's packaging on the internet.
      https://youtu.be/f4R3fqsyl4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Morrisons own shallow mince pies are delicious, just the right mince to pastry ratio with a light dusting of icing sugar
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I would have assumed that Mrs Peek was fictitious for the benefit of marketing the product in the same way that Mr Kipling was - no doubt that in decades to come some people might even assume that Bernard Matthews wasn't a real person.

I would probably go for Asda branded ones as their own brand of mince pies seem to be of great quality and a rival for Mr Kipling.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
            https://youtu.be/f4R3fqsyl4k

McVitie's now own the Family Circle biscuit brand. It used to confuse me because of the magazine of the same name.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I would have assumed that Mrs Peek was fictitious for the benefit of marketing the product in the same way that Mr Kipling was - no doubt that in decades to come some people might even assume that Bernard Matthews wasn't a real person.
              It depends if the "bootiful" adverts slip out of the public consciousness.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I would probably go for Asda branded ones as their own brand of mince pies seem to be of great quality and a rival for Mr Kipling.
                I do get suspicious sometimes ... our local outside market has a stall selling the best home made while muffins around , they must sell hundreds of them ( bags of six) but they've recently started selling Aunt Betty's pork pies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  It depends if the "bootiful" adverts slip out of the public consciousness.
                  Good slogans do often outlive their founders.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Good slogans do often outlive their founders.
                    Breakfast , the most important meal of the day .

That was a slogan dreamed up to kick start Kellogg's advertising campaign about 70 years ago .. as they were struggling badly !!

It was dreamed up by a high flying Ad Man pinched from the tobacco industry... it was based on ZERO scientific evidence.

PS

Some recent research studies suggest that you're better not eating until lunchtime and don't "breakfast" when you first wake up !

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post

Some recent research studies suggest that you're better not eating until lunchtime and don't "breakfast" when you first wake up !
                      Interesting that you say that because back in the late 1980s and early 1990s I used to skip breakfast so that I wasn't late for school (five more minutes in bed and all that), and these days, although I have breakfast, I often usually have it later than most other people do. I do have quite a bit last thing at night, and so I suppose that the energy (and fat) created from that lasts me through the following morning.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Interesting that you say that because back in the late 1980s and early 1990s I used to skip breakfast so that I wasn't late for school (five more minutes in bed and all that), and these days, although I have breakfast, I often usually have it later than most other people do. I do have quite a bit last thing at night, and so I suppose that the energy (and fat) created from that lasts me through the following morning.
                        I saw some crazy stat recently suggesting that before 1900 hardly anybody in the U.K. had breakfast .... ever !?!?

Maybe the toffs only ?

Comment

• Christmas When You Were Growing Up

I know people/s like nomads , cattle herders etc get up and do a hard days work with no breakfast or even dinner .. .. even warriors and armies went to war on empty tummies ...

Can you imagine getting up , cooking and eating a full English breakfast only to hear " Come on lads .... CHARGE !!!!

You guys know do intermittent fasting ???
                          Weekdays I get up have no breakfast , go to work , work straight through with no dinner . Have an hours rest but no food .

Then I eat a normal days amount of food 2000 to 2500 calories between 5pm and 10pm .. a five hour eating window !!

Always feel amazing !!

High energy levels from the moment I awake all through the day !

Hardly ever get ill apart from maybe a dose of Flu when everyone else gets it ..

The body is an amazing thing !!

Comment

Do any UK biscuit manufacture produce sugar free items?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                              I suppose that McVities would be the main one to ask.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                                Probably, look out for the prefix "light"...We seem more pre-occupied with salt intake here in the uk at present
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X