Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I just wish that Christmas now was just like Christmas was back then.

I don't think it is the same after you grow out of childhood, though comes back somewhat when you have young children, as you get caught up in their excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
      I just wish they'd show that program where a popular celebrity goes to and chats with sick children in a hospital somewhere - I'd even settle for repeats from the 60's (Leslie Crowther ?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, that used to be a mainstay of Christmas Day TV. There would be guests to help with the fun like Keith Harris and Orville. I also miss shows like The Grumbleweeds Christmas programme and that of Russ Abbott. I suppose modern audiences would think them unbearably twee, but I would watch them in an instant rather than the utter rubbish we have to put up with now. At least Russ, The Grumbleweeds etc made me laugh, which I rarely do when watching today's so-called comedians and those seemingly endless shows of celebrities fooling themselves that they can dance, cook etc.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        Yes, that used to be a mainstay of Christmas Day TV. There would be guests to help with the fun like Keith Harris and Orville. I also miss shows like The Grumbleweeds Christmas programme and that of Russ Abbott. I suppose modern audiences would think them unbearably twee, but I would watch them in an instant rather than the utter rubbish we have to put up with now. At least Russ, The Grumbleweeds etc made me laugh, which I rarely do when watching today's so-called comedians and those seemingly endless shows of celebrities fooling themselves that they can dance, cook etc.
        couldn't agree more mate. i was at a friends and had to sit through thirty minutes of a show called miranda. it was thirty minutes of shouting and laughing at your own so called jokes. i was ready to gouge out my own eyeballs after a few minutes of it being on. no wonder they advertise the samaritans before, during and after some of these show. they're enough to make anyone go and kill themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
          My mother also made the Christmas pudding the way your gran did. A Chrissie pud was not a Chrissie pud without the addition of hidden coins. None of the plastic tress of today. We had the real thing when I was growing up. Every Christmas my Dad would bring home a fir tree. You could not buy them as you can today. Expect he surrepticiously aquired it from the nearby national park. We kids spent hours making decorations out of coloured paper (no lites or even tinsel in those days). This was joined by hanging wooden decorations and shiny colored baubels. A large figure of an angel always adorned the tip of our tree. I recall on Christmas Eve Santa (Mum or Dad dressed up) coming into my room when myself and my brother were supposed to be asleep and placing our presents at the foot of our beds. Once they had arrived I could then sleep. Come morning and we not only had those on our beds but an assortment of wrapped goodies under the Chrissie tree. Christmas is such a magic time for children.
          I still hang my stocking up

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
            I still hang my stocking up
            Anyway Donny where are you?? We haven't been on at the same time for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              I just wish they'd show that program where a popular celebrity goes to and chats with sick children in a hospital somewhere - I'd even settle for repeats from the 60's (Leslie Crowther ?)
              Yes, Crowther did it for the BBC in the 1960s, and on ITV for the first half of the 1970s, while Jimmy Tarbuck did the second half of that decade.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                Very nice memories you have. I remember making paper chains and snowflakes, then decorating the tree. We didn't have much money to spare but we always had a nice Christmas. I'm 28 now and i still believe in Father Christmas!
                Nothing wrong still believing in Father Christmas as an adult. Keeps the magic alive.

Comment

Just thought I'd post a pic of some of my parents old Xmas decs that we were going through. Think they range from 50's-70's!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Roland rat and the like and Duppledown Farm and all these kids programmes and many others of the like - geared towards Kids are many an abiding memory for (like watching Herbie and Films and the like in the late 90s ... very lkate ones)!

80sChav

Comment

Wow, love them Smiles wish I could lay my hands on the ones we used to have in the 80's sadly all gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                        Nothing wrong still believing in Father Christmas as an adult. Keeps the magic alive.
                        I totally agree Donald, you keep believing Nuggy

Comment

Turkey butties
                          Last edited by tex; 01-11-2018, 16:58.
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Turkey butties...and a pickled onion.
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jemima View Post
                              I totally agree Donald, you keep believing Nuggy
                              Nuggy has left our little community Jemima.

Comment

Who still takes time to decorate the Christmas tree ? I also place LEC lites over our bushes and around our windows. to get a wondrous festive effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X