Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

In the 11 months that it is in stored in the cupboard, I always keep the baubles, lights and tinsel on the Christmas tree - it saves time when getting it out in early December and setting it up. Occasionally some baubles fall off the tree and have to be put back on again but most of them stay on there.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Turkey butties

No...no...I cannot abide turkey sandwiches. Actually, I am not a fan of turkey at all, so I have a traditional dinner without turkey but with more of those little sausages wrapped in bacon as I really like those.

I hope I don't sound like a Scrooge but Christmas has really lost its magic for me over the years. I still go through the cracker-pulling etc but I wouldn't be at all bothered if it didn't happen. Perhaps I will feel a bit of the old magic when I get grandkids. I certainly enjoyed it far more when my son was growing up and I think a bit of what kids feel about Christmas rubs off on jaded old codgers like me

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        No...no...I cannot abide turkey sandwiches. Actually, I am not a fan of turkey at all, so I have a traditional dinner without turkey but with more of those little sausages wrapped in bacon as I really like those.

I hope I don't sound like a Scrooge but Christmas has really lost its magic for me over the years. I still go through the cracker-pulling etc but I wouldn't be at all bothered if it didn't happen. Perhaps I will feel a bit of the old magic when I get grandkids. I certainly enjoyed it far more when my son was growing up and I think a bit of what kids feel about Christmas rubs off on jaded old codgers like me
        Really !!?

We have chicken all the time so Turkey is a nice change at Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

Remember - a turkey is for life, not just for Xmas!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
            Really !!?

We have chicken all the time so Turkey is a nice change at Christmas

Same here, I only have turkey any other time if I go to a carvery.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              Remember - a turkey is for life, not just for Xmas!

Orr if you were Bernard Matthews, a turkey is for a life of a successful career.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Orr if you were Bernard Matthews, a turkey is for a life of a successful career.
                Norfolk n good
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  Same here, I only have turkey any other time if I go to a carvery.
                  My old mum was hilarious whenever we visited a carvery ...

You're kinda expected to choose your meat at the start so she would ask for Turkey and be all complimentary and get half a plate of turkey ... then ask for some Lamb same thing .. then some Beef .. Pork ... she loved her food

Comment

My old mum was hilarious whenever we visited a carvery ...

You're kinda expected to choose your meat at the start so she would ask for Turkey and be all complimentary and get half a plate of turkey ... then ask for some Lamb same thing .. then some Beef .. Pork ... she loved her food

Mmmm...Carvery, the only time i get to eat parsnips.I love the humble parsnip but my wife hates them.
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Mmmm...Carvery, the only time i get to eat parsnips.I love the humble parsnip but my wife hates them.
                      I just think potatoes.. boiled , mashed and roasted .. then the gravy ... apple sauce , mint sauce ....

Comment

• Christmas When You Were Growing Up

My best memory of Christmas in the 60's is that special program with Leslie Crowther .... on Christmas morning or Christmas Eve ??

He used to visit all children's ward handing out pressies

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-11-2018, 16:10.

Comment

Norfolk n good
                          Or indeed he would have Suffolk Kate'd them.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My best memory of Christmas in the 60's is that special program with Leslie Crowther .... on Christmas morning or Christmas Eve ??

He used to visit all children's ward handing out pressies
                            It was on Christmas morning at 10.00 am before the church service in the early 1970s.

I met Crowther myself back in 1987 although it wasn't on Christmas morning but one day in August when he was invited to open a new shop up for the first time.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember the Christmas Day Leslie Crowther programme very well. There would also be a few entertainers tagging along with him.

In the 80s when I had a video recorder I would record all the kids shows, particularly on Christmas Day, then when my cousin's or friends' kids visited I would play the tape knowing they had almost certainly not seen them due to being too excited with their new toys. It's funny, but that is something I miss about Christmas now I have no-one to record them for.

Comment

I think Christmas began to lose its shine for me around my mid teens and I’ve been a grumpy old Scrooge ever since. I do enjoy putting up the Christmas tree as it looks pretty (although some years I haven’t bothered because I’ve been too meh) and I like having a dinner with family but other than that I’d rather it didn’t happen. I’m not a traditionalist so doing the same old things every year gets on my nerves, and I don’t like all the fuss, needless spending and tat.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X