Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio

Has to be one of the best inventions ever! I love radio! Do you remember listening to your little transistor (tranny) radio when you were a kid? (in the 60`s/70`s) mine was a little plastic red one and my brother had a blue one the same. I think we got them for Christmas one year.they had a wrist strap on too. I used to sneak mine up to bed with me and lay listening to Stuart Henry I think it was, on Radio Luxembourg. you`d try tuning in and you`d get all the whistles and interference...ah bliss.everythings too perfect these days!lol.

Radio is hugely underrated - I remember power cuts in '77 when we listened to a battery-run one each night & enjoyed it thoroughly. My mam always had Harbour Hotel on at dinnertime, if I hear the jingle today I can still taste mashed spud with sausage & tomato sauce !
    I got my own tranny when I was 15 & listened to Stuart Henry ( hope he's still with us, I know he had MS ) and Rob Jones when I was "studying".
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Do you remember the Radio Luxembourg "Power Play" where they played whatever song was chosen that week on every hour? Great if you liked it, not so good if it was one you hated. I used to listen to Luxembourg or Radio Caroline, the pirate station.

Comment

Yep, the new Power Play was aired Sun. nights - it became the highlight of the week ! A bit young to have heard Caroline, I'm afraid.

Comment

check out this link, sadly Stuart Henry is no longer with us,died in 1995.
          http://www.radioacademy.org/halloffa..._s/index.shtml

Comment

I didnt know til I searched today on the link above that Tommy Vance is no longer with us either,he died from a stroke last year. such a shame we are losing all these wonderful people.

Comment

Simon Bates 'Our Tune' and Bits & Pieces on the Radio 1 Roadshow.

Comment

Anyone remember listening to the charts and taping the songs you liked....trying to get the song and not the DJ. And the waiting for ages while he read through them all again so you could find out what number one was. And there were different charts depending on who you listened to. Radio one always had one answer but David Kid Jensen had something else...cant remember what station he was on. It was the Pepsi Chart if my minds serves me correctly...and it doesnt do that a lot!
                If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

Sorry to hear Stuart and Tommy are both gone, ar dheis De go raibh siad.
                  DJs don't seem to talk until the song is half over anymore - not that it matters, as we just download now...

Comment

I love radio. Especially fiddling about on short wave late at night when I was a kid. Tucked under the bedcovers, finding bizarre stuff like radio Moscow or forces radio with baseball match commentaries. It all seemed so exotic, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by koukou
                      Anyone remember listening to the charts and taping the songs you liked....trying to get the song and not the DJ. And the waiting for ages while he read through them all again so you could find out what number one was. And there were different charts depending on who you listened to. Radio one always had one answer but David Kid Jensen had something else...cant remember what station he was on. It was the Pepsi Chart if my minds serves me correctly...and it doesnt do that a lot!
                      I totally did that. Sunday night was chart night - right?

Comment

Originally posted by tanas
                        Simon Bates 'Our Tune' and Bits & Pieces on the Radio 1 Roadshow.
                        I remember `Our Tune`, I used to listen to Radio 1 most days. That was when Radio 1 used to be good, now its a load of old twaddle.
                        and I loved Bits n Pieces on the roadshows.... and I`m sorry to brag but I used to get nearly all of them right cos I was well in to my music scene then. dont know how I`d fare nowadays!

Comment

I used to listen to Radio 2 as a kid every night in bed.
                          There was a programme with "Whistle While you Work" as the theme jingle. Later in the evening, depending what day it was, you had either Grumbleweeds or News Huddlines. Then Round Midnight with Brian Matthew, using Cat Stevens' song "Matthew & Son" as theme jingle.
                          Van_Whistler (too young to understand - old enough to know better)

Comment

i listen to our local radio station(pirate fm) as it plays most of the older songs i used to listen to when growing up.
                            i dont listen to radio 1 anymore as the music(if thats what they call some of it)they have now aint realy up to much anymore
                            kernow bys vyken

Comment

On our local radio station simon bates is back doing "our tune" at noon, that music still makes me well up!
                              No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

Working...
                              X