My Kids will not remember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kids will not remember...

Times change so quickly - I was thinking about stuff I saw my parents do, but have never done myself, and things my kids just wont believe.....

Making a coal fire. A part of everyday life when i was a kid - but alas as an adult i have never made a coal fire - Try explaining to your kids how every house in the city had a fire burning indoors, spewing smoke into the street.

Putting the hot water on - 2 hrs before bath time! As an adult none of my homes have had a Water Boiler, I have never had to wait for hot water.

Starting the car with a manual choke....to be honest I don't even understand that one But i can remember dad having to pull out that knob to get the car going.

I can think of loads of things that as a child i though " Ive finally grown up when i can..." but have never done but I'll see what things you post ....
    sigpic

Re: My Kids will not remember...

You could add above-freezing temperatures to that list,Danbakuk.
    Have a cool Yule y'all !

Comment

As an adult I've never washed out pop bottles so the kids can return them for money.
      I've never left a note in a milk bottle for the milkman.
      However I have lived in a house with a coalfire and so has my oldest child.
      we've also just moved into a house with a water boiler so we after all these are having to put the water on before bath time
      Heather

Comment

As you all know - I'm the Fossel of the Forum ! Wonder how many of you have had to take a trip down the back yard to use the loo ??

Had a bath in a Zink bath with water heated from the gas boiler ?? ( Not the type of boiler that's behind the fire or on a wall, a five gallon round container heated underneath by a gas ring !!)

Or even watched a Black & white TV ?

I don't think changes have taken place as quickly as throughout the 20th Century !
        Last edited by joybee; 29-12-2009, 16:42.
        Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
        <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Originally posted by joybee View Post
          As you all know - I'm the Fossel of the Forum ! Wonder how many of you have had to take a trip down the back yard to use the loo ??

Had a bath in a Zink bath with water heated from the gas boiler ?? ( Not the type of boiler that's behind the fire or on a wall, a five gallon round container heated underneath by a gas ring !!)

I don't think changes have taken place as quickly as throughout the 20th Century !
          my mums house still had an outside toilet as well as an inside toilet as a kid.I know of a hardware shop that still sells tinbaths or at least it was last time i looked .My parents did not bother getting a colour tv till 1980!So i grew up with b/w tv.The next door to my mum still had a working outside toilet too.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh I remember all of that joybee. We had black & white TV up until about 1974. Tin baths in front of the fire up until I was about 6 or 7 (early 60's) ! We had a Gas fired copper boiler in the kitchen which my mum used to boil the sheets in, and a single tub washing machine with a hand wringer!

I remember having to put the immersion heater on hours in advance to get hot water and then mum topping up the water with a kettle full of hot water!!

I remember it being absolutely freezing in the bedrooms and bathroom because we had no radiators then.

I remember sleeping with coats as extra blankets and hats & mitts on in the winter!

I remember mum on her hands & knees polishing the lino and then tying dusters to us kids' feet so we could skate and make the floor beautifully shiny!!

I remember visitng my grandparents who lived in a tenement and who had the only inside toilet in the block. There were 4 flats on each landing and one toilet to share between them all !!

Oooh the kids today think they had it hard!! *tsk* :-)

Comment

I remember making coal fires when i was a child and teen.They were glorious when it was cold and grim outside,while watching a black and white film.My parents were always out during the school holidays,work etc,so it was peaceful.

Comment

Cat on the telly

Going through some old photos at weekend and I noticed in a few you could see the cat lying asleep on top of the telly.

I looked at LCD widescreen we got nowadays and realised modern day cats just can't do that anymore - I remember one or two other households where the cat spent time sleeping there but no longer, for the same reason.
                It used to be you were at a gripping part of a drama/film and a cats leg or tail would suddenly dangle down in the way and spoil the moment but we just put up with it.

Another thing that will soon be history and only remembered by 'people of a certain age'

Comment

Re: Cat on the telly

My chocolate point Siamese used to sleep on the cable tv box which was on the top of the television. The box used to get warm so I guess he found it a nice place to chill.
                  Frame.
                  "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Re: Cat on the telly

I remember a clip of s cat on top of a TV being used a lot in the end titles of You've Been Framed. It woke up & fell off when stretching.

My girlfriend's cat like lying on her computer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	259752

Sorry the quality isn't good, it was taken with a mobile phone.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wonder how many of you have had to take a trip down the back yard to use the loo ??
                      I hope there was a toilet down the end of the yard, or that would've been very unseemly!!;-)
                      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Well i'm 43 and had to use an outside loo until we moved when I was 12. No bathroom up til that point too so it was plastic bath in front of the gasfire and then wash stood in the kitchen sink once I outgrew the bath.

I think we got our 1st colour tv when I was about 5 years old so I have vague memories of black and white tv.

Since the age of 12 my main passion has been collecting music be it vinyl or cd. I feel sad that my daughter will never come back from HMV with a bag full of vinyl and blast the house down. Most people can remember the first record/cd that they bought, how many of this generation will remember the first song they downloaded?
                        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

We had a black and white portable TV that we took to the caravan with us.It ran off the battery!Never had a coal fire,but my granny did.

tulip

Comment

oh i remember using outside toilets.

my gran had one this was around the late seventies.
                            i had to go to the other end of the yard to use it.
                            although me and my family had an indoor toilet.

and black and tv's i remember watching them.

i had an old wooden framed one.
                            no tv remotes you had to actually turn them over manually.
                            might try to get one for nostalgia.

branny you should be able to get vinyl in charity shops etc.

i see tons of it regular.
                            cheap as chip.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                            X