Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: singing books at school

Default Re: singing books at school

Quote Originally Posted by culnara View Post
    does anyone remember those colourful singing books you got in Primary class and everyone had to sing along including the teacher??

Old Joe Clark, he had a house; fifteen stories high
    Every story in that house was filled with chicken pie!
    I remember that song being in a Music Time book circa 1981/82.

I found a version of the song: If i Were a Blackbird, on youtube the other day,sung by the Askew Sisters.They sing it so similar to the way our primary school music teacher taught us to sing it.

My old primary school once had a clearout of a load of these books dating back to the early 1970s (and this was around 1983), the last year I was there. I remember they tried to flog them to the parents.

I remember "Singing Together" and "Time & Tune" on BBC Radio 4 "VHF" (as it was known back then). "Time & Tune" was hosted by Douglas Coombes, as I remember. I do not recall the songs we sang (I absolutely HATED those singing classes), except one of them, that went something like "Hey ho, the morning dew, hey ho, the rose & rue, follow me, my bonny lad, for I'll not go with you!"

Sadly, more time was spent in the classroom at junior school trying to wind up the teacher, than singing in an educational and constructive manner.

I remember a couple of singing radio shows at school with books containing the lyrics. One was a musical version of Beatrix Potter's The Tailor Of Gloucester, which my class did as an Xmas play. We learnt one song per show.

Another was a similar adaptation of Wind In The Willows, I changed school before getting to the end of that.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by DeptfordDraylons View Post
    I remember "Singing Together" and "Time & Tune" on BBC Radio 4 "VHF" (as it was known back then).
    Actually back in the late 1970s / early 1980s, it was BBC Radio 4. They said "This is BBC Radio 4 VHF for schools" when announcing schools programmes on Radio 4 VHF/FM as they only broadcast schools programmes on their VHF/FM frequencies; not on their Long Wave frequency (they put something else on Radio 4 long wave at the same time).

Hi Moonvisage & Trickyvee, I know some time has passed but just wanted to say I couldn't find any of the songs in the T&T & ST books I have. sorry!

Thank you so much for taking time to look for us all The Low Country.It is very kind of you and i really appreciate your gesture.Maybe one day,somebody may pass through or stumble across this forum and thread,and have the little music books in question,and tell us all about them.

We had Time and Tune in the first and second years of junior school (ages 7-9), themes included Songs for Fairs and Markets (including Strawberry Fair) and the Magic Music Shop - about a music shop where at night, after the shop owner had gone home, the instruments would come alive and play by themselves.

I was unaware of Singing Together until I got to secondary school, when we were given it in music lessons. I considered it a poorer version of Time and Tune, having seemingly no theme to hold the songs together, and I reckoned by now I was too old for this sort of thing, privately scorning all the others who sang with enthusiasm.
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Singing together sounds familier,not sure about time and tune,but I do remember singing along with a radio show.I remember one about the Titanic and one about a train too.I also remember having amusic class at Primary School with the nice Mrs Stevenson(we had 2!)She taught us The Jeelie Piece song and probably others too,we go to play instruments in that class.

tulip
    Last edited by tulip; 21-09-2010 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember one series of songbooks with orange covers with a yellow circle.

I can remember others where the words were transcribed onto OHP sheets & only the teacher playing the piano had the actual book.

One such book had a title based on one of the songs, something on the lines of "A Pusky Dusky A Pusky Doo", it was about sardines.

The book was called "Apuski duski, songs for children". that was a weird song that probably works in its original language and loses something in translation.
    we had to sing it as well,

In middle ocean,
    Sardines are swimming
    Apuski duski
    Apuski do

But we used to sing bananas in pyjamas with great gusto,