Some Pics Of My Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some Pics Of My Stuff

Me too. So you started collecting in the year Classic Coke was launched and failed?
    I remember the first time I tried to drink from the new shape top can, and kept spilling it.

Comment

New Coke came out in April 1984, one year before their 100th anniversary. It was never released in England, although I do have a very rare prototype 2 litre bottle label of New Coke that was destined for a UK release. Sorry the scan is not very good. I did it about 6 years ago and need to make a new copy as soon as I can find it again.
      Attached Files

Comment

So what was the one I remember being launched around that time?
        Just the new shape non-ring pull cans?
        I could have sworn the cans said Classic Coke at one point
        Last edited by sixtyten; 01-01-2010, 01:51.

Comment

Coke Classic was reintroduced after the uproar from the American people. It was only released in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Coke Classic was still different to the original Coke though as it used high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar.

I think it was probably the new shape cans that you remember with the smaller tops. There was only 1 time when a UK Coke had the word Classic on it. It was only sold in 1 chain of supermarkets for a couple of weeks back in the mid 90's. This was because Sainsbury's called their own Cola "Classic Cola" Coke disputed it saying that they owned the rights to the name Classic on a soft drink, so they had to sell it as Coke Classic for a short period of time just to prove it.

This can is not in my collection but I wish it was.
          Attached Files

Comment

I was under the impression that in the eighties the recipie changed.I am sure normal coke tastes different to what i remember as a kid?.I must say that regular coke is all i can stomach now i have gone off all the other connertations that are currently on sale.
            sigpic

Comment

Didn't Pepsi produce some cans with those 3D stereogram magic-eye patterns on? I'm pretty sure I had some that I bought and kept (even though I didn't like Pepsi much) cos I was fascinated by magic-eye things.
              If I didn't imagine it I might still have them somewhere.

I wish they'd bring back vanilla coke in the UK. I loved that stuff.

Comment

This thread has thrown up another forgotten gem.
                I know its been mentioned on here before by Branny

Strike Cola! made by Barrs

Comment

The canned version

Comment

Had a look at your site, Dave
                    Very interesting (to an 'anorak' like me )
                    I see in the Ghostbusters section, the first can is unbranded.
                    We have mentioned this before on DYR, I bought mine from the short lived 7-11 store.
                    It was identical with no 7-11 logo

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...-drinks-2.html

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                      The canned version

i seemed to remember that.So much has changed since though?
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for looking at my website Sixtyten. I hope you anjoyed it!

I don't remember Strike Cola at all. But I quite like the look of the can.

I have some some of the clear plastic cans here that I will post pictures of soon. They were branded as Seltzer and came in regular and diet versions.

In the mean time here are some pics of 2 other plastic cans I have in my collection. They were test marketed around 1985, these are the English ones, they also trialed them in the USA but they were withdrawn after a short while as they were found not to hold the carbonation for long periods of time. The sides would then suck in and if the cans were stacked on top of each other they would all fall over.
                        Attached Files

Comment

used to get 3 ltr bottles of coke in the uk, but i haven't seen one for years, remember being at my mates house for a party and his wife couldnt open it, so He grabbed it from her and said " I'll show you how to open it !! " he tried with all his strength and still couldnt open it LOL there was about 8 people in the kitchen at the time laughing our heads off at Him, when he decided to smack the top of the bottle off of the work top

the bottle exploded and the whole kitchen and everone in it were drenched in cola, there was only about 20ml left in the bottle, His wife wasn't too pleased iether

Do you still get 3 ltr bottles in the uk ??
                          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                            used to get 3 ltr bottles of coke in the uk, but i haven't seen one for years, remember being at my mates house for a party and his wife couldnt open it, so He grabbed it from her and said " I'll show you how to open it !! " he tried with all his strength and still couldnt open it LOL there was about 8 people in the kitchen at the time laughing our heads off at Him, when he decided to smack the top of the bottle off of the work top

the bottle exploded and the whole kitchen and everone in it were drenched in cola, there was only about 20ml left in the bottle, His wife wasn't too pleased iether

Do you still get 3 ltr bottles in the uk ??
                            I think they "dropped" them because of health and safety!
                            sigpic

Comment

I think they usually produce them in the summer. I know ASDA was running them last year, they are normally on promo "50% EXTRA FREE" 3 litres for the price of 2 litres.

The old 3 litre bottles also used to have larger size caps than the current ones which use the same size caps as 2 litre bottles.

Talking of plastic bottles, does enyone remember when the plastic bottles used to have black plastic "cup like things" on the bottom?

Comment

Yes, had forgotten those. inside the bottle was rounded & would not stand up without the cup IIRC

Comment

Working...
                                X