What books did you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books did you read?

My earliest memories of going to the library are of "Ant and Bee" books (I think it was before I started school) Later I liked the Molesworth books (chiz) and Jennings and Darbyshire (my cat is called Jennings!) My sisters read the famous Five books by Enid Blyton and What Katy Did, What Katy Did Next etc. I also read Biggles books and every Christmas we would choose which annual we wanted.
    John

The first all-text books I read were the Secret Seven ( Blyton ) ones when I was about 11. Up to then it was comics - every time my parents went shopping I got the Dandy !
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Ladybird books of all the fairytales you can think of - the Princess and the Pea, Rapunzel, Three Billy Goats Gruff to name a few - oh and the Enormous Turnip, anyone remember that?

Comment

Yes, the Ladybirds ! Rumpelstiltskin was my favourite, he got a bad deal of it .

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember him. Can't remember much of the story now but didn't he sleep for years?

Comment

That was Rip Van Winkle - Rumpl span straw into gold for the girl, in return for her baby, she wouldn't hand him over.

Comment

Oh yes, I remember now. He was a nasty old thing wasn't he? I should have remembered Rip Van Winkle because my mother used to call my boyfriend Rip because he slept all the time! Thanks for that.

Comment

I can remember getting a copy of Heidi once when I was ill...great story. I loved that book..until I threw up on it!

I was also a huge fan of The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton......in fact I have a copy still and a dvd....sad I know.
                If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

At first I was HOOKED on Enid Blyton.... The Famous Five was always my favourite... The Secret Seven not far behind.

Anything Roald Dahl.... The BFG, The Witches, Danny, The Champion of the World, Matilda... etc

Then I graduated into Choose Your Own Adventure.... Trixie Belden.... then the Point Horror teen books (eg RL Stine, Christopher Pike).

Last but not least moving from Virginia Andrews, Flowers In The Attic series, Heaven series, My Sweet Audrina, (I didn't like the "new" Virgina Andrews & stopped reading them after Dawn.) and then eventually to Jackie Collins, Lucky, Chances, American Star, Hollywood Wives etc etc.

I think that about sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by koukou
                    I was also a huge fan of The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton......in fact I have a copy still and a dvd....sad I know.
                    No way.... not sad at all.... they were fantastic books & I still have my collection too. What I really liked about the Enid Blyton books is that you were REALLY in there, in the book with the characters. The Magic Faraway Tree & other books like The Wishing Chair were so exciting! I really enjoyed growing up reading these books.

I just really hope they don't change the names, as I heard on a newscast a few weeks ago, changing the names such as Fanny, Dick etc. It won't be the same.

Comment

loved roald dahl and sweet valley high and point horror

i loved any books when i was younger always reading dont get much time to now
                      boo boo de boop

Comment

The ladybird books i read at school, then Harry and the woman next door about a dog, Green smoke(?) bout a dragon, Digby the Biggest Dog in the World, Dr Who and the Daleks were my first paperbacks.

Comment

Re: What books did you read?

- Enid Blyton - I had a set of Famous Five hardbacks that my mum had when she was a kid. Faraway Tree, Pip the Pixie, Shadow the Sheepdog, Those Dreadful Children, Six Bad Boys - in the last couple of years I found copies of those again, except for Pip the Pixie.
                          - Someone earlier mentioned Ant and Bee - I also found a couple of those recently. I loved 'And and Bee and the Doctor' and all things they did to pass the time
                          - Fairy Tales - The Twelve Dancing Princesses, Sinbad the Sailor
                          - Lots of old hardbacks - Peter Pan, The Waterbabies, something called "Forty Goodnight Tales" which I'd love to find again, but no luck so far;
                          - Ladybird books - the Peter & Jane books, and there was one about a robin who accidentally flew into a house, and hid by perching on the Christmas tree
                          - Pony books - My Friend Flicka, Black Beauty, the Black Stallion, the "Jill" series
                          - Hundred & One Dalmatians, and the sequel The Starlight Barking
                          - Bambi
                          The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

Anyone read Susan Coopers Dark is Rising series??

Comment

I to had 21 famous five books
                              Secret Seven
                              The Five findouters
                              Magic faraway tree
                              Mr Medel
                              wishing chair
                              Naughtiest girl
                              St Clare's
                              All the mstery series e.g mystery of the invisable thief and The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters
                              Actually there so many and all by Enid Blyton take a look

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/enid-blyton/

I enjoyed them all, If fact thinking of them,I would like to read them again.
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X