Isle of Man Summerland Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isle of Man Summerland Fire

Hi, the Summerland site is now for sale by the Isle of Man Government. I have an online petition demanding the Manx Government stop the sale and instead dedicate the site to the 50 who died in the fire (11 were aged under 19 years) and all those who died later from injuries sustained in the fire (their numbers are unknown); the 80 plus who were seriously injured; and all those who suffered mental trauma at the time and in the intervening 40 years. The petition link is here http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...e-gardens.html. Please sign if you believe strongly as I do that all the people (and there were 3,000 inside on the night) have been ignored by the Manx Government. The inquiry report highlighted there were many mistakes made by many people, but a death by misadventure verdict was given and no-one was held accountable!! At that time the Isle of Man Government had in place defective legislation on fire safety; the Douglas Council of the time (the owners) put in place a waiver to their bye-laws which enabled them to build Summerland out of cheap but combustible materials; the architects were given free rein and built effectively a plastic hangar; and the operators Trust Houses Forte did not give their staff any fire safey training or procedures in the event of a fire. All this meant just one match lit by some lads mucking about outside ignited the building and within half an hour it was an inferno and people's lives were ripped apart forever. Please sign and share the petition so that our government does not sell the site which here on the Isle of Man is our Ground Zero. I also have a facebook page called Summerland Fire. Please check it out and leave your comments there too. Thank you.

Comment

I remember the fire very well. I was 18 years of age and lived in douglas
      Most nights I would go to summerland and the night of the fire was no exception. When the fire first started I was watching the band playing.
      All the children sat at the front, the band would ask if anyone could name a song that they couldn't play.
      a free bag of sweets if they did was the reward.
      I heard shouting people where rushing for the exits I went to see what all the fuss was and noticed a fire had started in the arcade.
      Behind me the main exit had been jammed with people fighting to get out. Not wanting to get crushed I stood back and decided to take a photo of the fire.
      When i turned to leave the exits where total blocked there was no staff to be see. just mayhem everywhere cash registers where ripped out and throne through windows to escape. People jumping out of the windows.
      the fire had reached the roof causing it to melt dripping burning . I new it was time to get out. I made for the main exit.it had slackened off I was able to walk out unhurt as I reached the sea front there was a loud explosion summerland was just a ball of fire.
      I will leave at this and hope I havent upset anyone.
      I only found out a couple of weeks ago it was 40 years since the fire after booking a weekend break in castletown where I served my apprenticeship.

Comment

It was the first time I have ever been to the Isle of Mann, me and my mate was only 22. Whe had met some girls from Manchester who said over the last couple of years they had been and it was a good night out. About 6:30PM we picked the girls up from their guesthouse and we proceeded on our way to the complex. On our way I decided we should call in a pub called the crescent at 7pm, because it sounded like a good group that was playing. We were having a good banter with the girls, from Manchester, over a couple of drinks. Then, as the time went by, at around 8pm, the group stopped playing and they said "Summerland is on fire, can anybody do anything to help the people?" So hearing this we all ran outside to see. There was flames coming out of every window. People were screaming and running towards us. We were trying to settle them down by giving them drinks and cigarettes then we all heared a very big explosion. Everything seemed so surreal. The next day, all of the telephone lines were jammed. There was obviously no mobiles in those days. I knew that our parents would be out of their minds with worry. After the Thursday night, the Saturday morning couldn't come quick enough. Me and my mate got the boat back to Liverpool. We called at my house first. My parents were so relieved to see us back. I am 65 years old now, however, I still shiver, to think what could have happened to us all if I hadn't decided for us to call in the crescent pub, just one hour before the fire. I have always thought it was a guardian angel looking after us.

Comment

Working...
        X