Hovercraft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hovercraft!

I found this photo in my archives, going back to the 70s or early 80s - we're waiting to board the hovercraft:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	259801

Comment

I didnt even know Dover Hoverport had closed, i think what would have killed it off a lot too was when duty free fags and booze stopped that was all that about 70% off people who travelled on the Dover one as footpassengers went for, it used to be a fiver for a return trip and you could do a round trip in about an hour.
      People used to go over and back 6 or 7 times in a day.

Comment

Always wondered what the underside looked like on a hovercraft..... ;-)

Comment

By and large, the underside was flat with a number of pads on which the craft would sit when the air cushion was deflated

Comment

The huge old Hoverlloyds really were awesome machines. Hovercraft in general are banned from British roads because they're officially classed as aircraft!!

Comment

I've been on a hovercraft

By the way,how does a hovercap work?
              It floats on a cushion of HAIR.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                I've been on a hovercraft

By the way,how does a hovercap work?
                It floats on a cushion of HAIR.
                did it not make u feel sick mate.
                i was always amazed how qyick they went.

was always surprised they never toppled on a rough sea.

well what was it like on a hovercraft mate.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My uncle took my Nan to france on one, I never liked the thought of them for some reason!

Comment

Doesn't Bond take the hovercraft in Diamonds are Forever?

Comment

It was okay.I never got sick or anything and yeah,they were pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                        It was okay.I never got sick or anything and yeah,they were pretty quick.
                        they do look quick.
                        but one thing i alweways thought that they could e easily turned over if rthere was a big wind.
                        Still see them now and again.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think you'll find the SRN4 was bigger than the SRN6 and yes, the SR in SRN stands for Saunders Roe. Both cross channel craft were cut in half and str-e-c-hed in the 70's. The props on the top were the largest propellors ever built. All powered by 4 Rolls Royce Spey (I think) gas turbines. Ok, anorack off.
                          The SRN4s - Princesses Anne and Margret, spent a long time unused at Dover waiting for a buyer. The story goes that they were bought by someone who wanted the spare engines and parts so they were 'flown' to the Hovercraft museum at Lee-on-Solent under their own power, and apparently seen doing 'doughnuts' in the bay off the Isle of Wight outside the factory where they were built before being parked up and decommisioned. There is a great program about hovercraft shown occasionally on the Discover channel - I think it's part of the Massive machines series.
                          The museum is well worth a visit on an open day, you can board them and sometimes get a tour of the bridge/cockpit (?), there even two seaters you can ride around the field in!

Comment

i just love going on the hovercraft from southsea to ryde on the isle of wight...........you feel every bump, its raw, it's noisy, it's basic comfort and its great!

Comment

I travelled on both 'Princesses' shortly before they were withdrawn. Managed to get a seat near the engines both times. Hell hath no fury like raw power!

Comment

i always wanted to go on one of them but never did wish i could just to say i dun it
                                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Working...
                                X