Hovercraft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hovercraft!

Who remembers the Hovercraft? Big in the late 60's through the 70's Hoverlloyd and Sea Link?

Many of my pals went to Isle of Wight on their holidays in them, noisy yes but quite safe! I dont think that they were used to their full potential.

Air Cushion Vehicles wow!

Re: Hovercraft!

I remember the big ones being featured on something recently, & it mentioned that they went out of favour due to the rising cost of oil, combined with the popularity of hydrofoils & budget airlines.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Awsome though werent they? I recall watching them inflate those big black bellowing skirts and rise up in a rush of hot blast!

I think the US Army still use them for swamp areas dont they? They used to race the single seat ones on the lake at Stanford Hall some years ago.

Reckon Saunders Roe built some of then?

Comment

Can't recall if I've ever been on one (been on the Seacat though)
        As a kid used to watch them down at Southampton crossing the Solent.
        I also have vivid recollection of making and painting in bright red gloss, the Airfix Hoverlloyd model in the mid 70's

Comment

I remember the Airfix Hoverlloyd SRN-6, and the smaller SRN-4. The Hovercraft went from the town I was born in, but I never went on one. Noisy sods, too - could hear them starting up from miles away.

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I had the larger of the Hovercraft models

Comment

Why are you all talking about the Hovercraft as if it's a thing of the past ?? They still run from Ryde to the main land and back- can't say which port cos I didn't ride on one, but watched them coming and going from the Isle ofWight for an hour or so this summer
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Just looked it up - they go to Portsmouth and Southsea

Comment

I remember going from Dover over to France in 1977 on the Hovercraft. It was flipping noisy.

This is whats left of the terminal now though. http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ght=hovercraft
                  sigpic

Comment

Ryde Hovercraft - click to watch

Comment

Last edited by sixtyten; 08-01-2010, 18:00.

Comment

I loved the hovercraft. Dover - Calais in 1982
                        01-811-8055 - Swap Shop

Comment

If you want to see the original Hovverlloyd giant hovercraft (the ones that travelled the Dover to France route) then take a trip to Lee-On-Solent in Hampshire. You can see them at the Hovercraft museum, but the big ones you can see from the road.
                          I think they are restoring one of them (Princess Anne ) i think it is called.

The Portsmouth - Southsea hovercraft used to run from Southampton to Cowes many years ago... for a short time.

Comment

I would like to go to that Museum, thanks for mentioning it.

And it makes me pleased to think they are restoring one!

Comment

I have great memories of the SRNs as I used them on a regular basis. The rising cost of fuel and the Channel Tunnel killed them off, sadly. In their day they were without doubt the fastest way to cross the Channel - on a calm day they would easily clock 63 knots (70 mph). It took me a mere 26 minutes once, port to port, I couldn't believe it. The trouble with them though was they didn't like rough weather!
                              I remember that horrible purple carpet at Dover's hoverport!!!! I'm surprised the buildings aren't being used these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X