Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Double Decker Buses

saly we have very few now where i live.

but i always loved going to the top of them.

yes great views for sure.

always stayed on the bottom though when it was very windy.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Still got double deckers in Reading. For a time we had another bus company called Reading Mainline which was run by a group of former Reading Transport bus drivers who'd been made redundant; they bought up old Route Masters from London and repainted the middle strip a cream colour to go with the rest of the red. The company became a big hit as passengers liked the return of the old R.M. complete with separate driver and conductor, it became so profitable that Reading Transport owned by our local council bought it up lock stock and basically phased out the R.M.s sadly and carried on as Reading Buses....However, I've never really liked the top deck, I did recently travel on the top deck, not at the very front though....

And as a kid I always wondered what the periscope thing was as theres a screen at the right hand side on the front ledge isn't there....

Comment

These are the kind of double deckers that used to operate in my area during the 70s and 80s:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	bb3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	259799Click image for larger version

Name:	bb6.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	259800

Comment

This is the type of bus I remember from my early childhood. Before deregulation all the buses in Tyne and Wear were yellow and white like this. This one is one of the rare ones that had two sets of doors (how exciting to me then!). I remember most buses were designed with a sort of indented back then and naughty teenage boys would try to hang on to the ridge while the bus was moving.Click image for larger version

Name:	2749262603_39269437d3.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	259802
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Wow Tricky, I remember those buses well! I loved those yellow buses. I thought they were so unusual when I was a kid. I used to get the OK bus no. 724 into Newcastle nearly every Saturday when I was a teenager. I loved Newcastle, especially at Christmas.
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

You've got the memory cells going here.

stuck in the 80s: Think the OK Motor Services bus was the 700 to Newcastle. The 724 was the United one. I take it you mean from Bishop Auckland area.

Trickyvee: Don't remember the 300, but sounds like it was a number from within Tyneside.
              ....What Happened To You, Whatever Happened To Me, What Became of Those People, We Used To Be....

Comment

The 300 is a Tyneside route but wasn't introduced until the mid-'80s. Went from Whitley Bay to Newcastle via the world (well that's what it felt like!). Run by Go-Ahead Northern (the red and white buses). It's still going now.
                Last edited by Trickyvee; 21-10-2010, 16:19.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

The OK service from Bishop Auckland to Newcastle was defiantly the 724. I used to get it to work every day!

Comment

Certainly was the 724, now the 21
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My school bus was an old double decker bus in the early 70s and we used to go up a really steep hill called Ossett Lane. It would charge up the hill with a good run up but a few times a year it would get stuck if it lost momentum because of traffic. The engine would start smoking and the bus would start rolling back down for another go unless a car was behind us then we would all have to get off and walk up the hill beside it so it could get up. We would all get back on at the top. It was always entertaining but we were simple folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                        Certainly was the 724, now the 21
                        Pleased you've agreed with that! Thought I was loosing my mind! There was a 723 and a 722 to Newcastle but they ran through Ferryhill and missed out Spennymoor and went via Durham City. Can't remember where those 2 services started, could have been Darlington.

Comment

In the 70s it was the 700 (OK) & 724 (United/Northern). The main difference was the OK bus went straight up the old A1 at Nevilles Cross and didn't go into Durham City Centre. The 724 went into the bus station.

Must have changed mid 80s?
                          ....What Happened To You, Whatever Happened To Me, What Became of Those People, We Used To Be....

Comment

I'm 37 and the OK service was always the 724 as far back as I can remember. Asked my mum and she says she's never heard of the '700' only the 724.

Comment

Anyone in the Salford/Manchester area should go to the bus museum. We were even let on the buses (upstairs and down). It brought back so many memories that I had forgotten. I will put on some pictures when I get the chance
                              For a local history website with lots of photos and videos from the 1970s, 1980s and earlier goto

Comment

Originally posted by kersalflats View Post
                                Anyone in the Salford/Manchester area should go to the bus museum. We were even let on the buses (upstairs and down). It brought back so many memories that I had forgotten. I will put on some pictures when I get the chance
                                There is a Bus Museum in Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury too. Where is the one in Salford, Kersalflats?

Comment

Working...
                                X