Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Double Decker Buses

i never see double decker buses now.

anyone here still see them where they live.

the few times i was on them it was scary because when you went round corners you thought the bus was going to topple over.
    especially if a strong wind hit it at the right angle.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There's plenty here in Stockport.

I also used to think that DD buses would either fall over or scrape the sides of building when turning.

Getting the seats at the front was fun, especially the one in front of the driver's periscope.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Plenty in Reading. We've got ones with 'free WI-FI' access for mobiles or laptops or.....[I]tablets...[I] (ugh).

Comment

Originally posted by Grosh62 View Post
          My school bus was an old double decker bus in the early 70s and we used to go up a really steep hill called Ossett Lane. It would charge up the hill with a good run up but a few times a year it would get stuck if it lost momentum because of traffic. The engine would start smoking and the bus would start rolling back down for another go unless a car was behind us then we would all have to get off and walk up the hill beside it so it could get up. We would all get back on at the top. It was always entertaining but we were simple folk.
          Thats funny.

Comment

EYMS has quite a lot of them. Even more so than single deckers. Mainly Wrightbus Eclipse Geminis.

John

Comment

Who remembers bus conductors? I can just remember them and the little square yellow tickets. 5p for a child's fare! Payment to the driver was well established by the early 80's where I lived.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by ratboy View Post
                These are the kind of double deckers that used to operate in my area during the 70s and 80s:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2927[/ATTACH]
                The Bristol VR's where by far the most mumious deckers about, Every NBC companey used them. In my dads opinion they the best deckers ever built. He should know after twenty years of driving them

Comment

oh yes great memories.
                  i sure do remember getting the tickets in the eighties as i was a regular on buses and dble deckers.

never see dble deckers now.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  Who remembers bus conductors? I can just remember them and the little square yellow tickets. 5p for a child's fare! Payment to the driver was well established by the early 80's where I lived.

Comment

Still in use in London, Birmingham and other big cities. When I was very small and growing up in Birmingham, they were still using open-platform buses (they were'nt Routemasters, some other make) but in '73 the Daimler Fleetline was introduced and these were the replacements. Rear-engined, they were hugely powerful- my Mum & I used to get the no.12 into the City Centre because my Dad always had the car to go to work. I used to enjoy sitting on the top front as well and looking down at the driver on the mirror!
                    We moved to Worcestershire in '86 when the Metrobus was in turn phasing out the Fleetlines, although the latter remained in service up until around 1990. Now even the Metrobus has been superceded, the last one went to a transport museum a couple of years ago.

Comment

I always thought they could get blown over many times going round a tight bend i kinda felt this bus is gonna tip over thats why sometimes i stayed in the lower deck.

Some dble deckers where open top and some were not.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        I always thought they could get blown over many times going round a tight bend i kinda felt this bus is gonna tip over thats why sometimes i stayed in the lower deck.

Some dble deckers where open top and some were not.
                        Some places do city tours with the open top buses,London obviously York Cardiff etc

Comment

Working...
                        X