Dungeons and Dragons and other RPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeons and Dragons and other RPG's

Anyone used to play Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and other RPG's? I was about 10 (about 1977) when a teacher first introduced me into gaming. He was cool - Mr. Richards, I think he was called, and we was in Firbeck Primary in Wollaton, Nottingham. Admittedly, it was really a story writing exercise based around a castle but I wanted to know more and the rest is history!

My mates and I started playing basic Dungeons and Dragons then moved onto Advanced then onto other role-playing games (RPG's) like Heroquest, Champions (which was a superhero game) and Middle Earth. There was also a game based around spying - Top Secret, I think it was called. The last game I bought was Space Crusade about 10 years ago.

Kids today have great games to play. I must admit, I love my XBOX360 even though I'm the wrong side of 40 (I never really grew up). However, these games relied upon your imagination. I still remember some of the games we played today. It was like a movie unfolding in your head....My mate Wally was a fantastic 'Games Master'. He used to say that I was good too. I remember scaring the snot out of him on a number of occasions...heh, heh, heh....

My children are 10, 9 and 7 now. I've dug out Heroquest and we've played it. They love it! I've yet to introduce them to Space Crusade! I've just bought 'Snit's revenge' off e-bay....

Re: Dungeons and Dragons and other RPG's

I met the original D&D at university, 1975 -'76, but for some reason played more of a different version, ITL: "In the Labyrinth". My best character was a tall dwarf, sensitive about his height problem. *Lots * of fights in inns and taverns, but a six-foot-three dwarf swings a mean axe.

Ocacsionally the early SF RPG version "Traveller", and oddities such a Bunnies and Burrows, and Tunnels and Trolls

As mentioned on another thread, I think "The Awful Green Things From Outer Space" (shades of "It! The Terror From Beyond Space " more than the much later "Alien") edges out "Snit's Revenge."
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

I first remember encountering D&D when watching ET for the first time.

Later at secondary school someone had a few of the games, including those geometrical multi-sided dice.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i could never get into D&D. Seemed geeky at the time.
        sigpic

Comment

I picked up a copy of the Dr Who RPG Time Lord when my local library were having a book sale. I've never tried playing it but the profiles with skills are interesting.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

talking of rpg's anyone here like the zelda games.
            ive pretty much all of them.

i have ocarina,zelda gold cartridge,wind waker,majora's mask n64 twilight princess.
            all on there original consoles too.

a lot of people don't like this type of game as it demands patience and dn't like the fact it takes a bit of working out.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My sons have always been fans of Zelda. Not my cup of tea.
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I remember buying the Basic D&D set where you got the Keep on The Borderlands and The Caves of Chaos modules - must have been around 1979/1980 or so. Then went on to get the Advanced stuff - Dungeon Master's Guide, Players Handbook etc

One thing that I soon found out that was an absolute fact with D&D - get a good Dungeon Master and no time-wasters and you could end up playing through the night. Get a poor one or a jackass or two and it just didn't work at all.

Sadly, I can only remember 2 or 3 good sessions in about 12 years! :cry::cry::cry:

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                  My sons have always been fans of Zelda. Not my cup of tea.
                  you not have the patience for zelda kaz.

Comment

Love Zelda Darren, have played through Ocarina of Time (N64), Windwaker and Twilight Princess (GC). What can be said about Ocarina of Time that hasn't already been said? Just a beautiful piece of work from an absolute golden era of gaming for me. I have to admit though, I didn't get round to playing Ocarina until around 2004 (Unbelieveable I know), picking up the cartridge for £8 in our local gameshop at the time. I had bought a brand-new N64 for £20 a year or two before and always intended to pick Ocarina up at some point. Totally glad I did, such a legendary game.

Don't get me wrong like, I can still remember all the hype Ocarina received upon its build-up and subsequent release, however the main reason it took me so long to get round to it was the fact that I was a Playstation owner through the 90's. Being in school meant that it was the only console I could afford to keep so I would have to wait awhile longer to finally play it through myself. I still think Ocarina of Time is one of the top games ever made, certainly one of N64's finest moments.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Twilight Princess too. It had a bit of a darker tone to it than what Zelda is used to seeing and I loved the soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                      Love Zelda Darren, have played through Ocarina of Time (N64), Windwaker and Twilight Princess (GC). What can be said about Ocarina of Time that hasn't already been said? Just a beautiful piece of work from an absolute golden era of gaming for me. I have to admit though, I didn't get round to playing Ocarina until around 2004 (Unbelieveable I know), picking up the cartridge for £8 in our local gameshop at the time. I had bought a brand-new N64 for £20 a year or two before and always intended to pick Ocarina up at some point. Totally glad I did, such a legendary game.

Don't get me wrong like, I can still remember all the hype Ocarina received upon its build-up and subsequent release, however the main reason it took me so long to get round to it was the fact that I was a Playstation owner through the 90's. Being in school meant that it was the only console I could afford to keep so I would have to wait awhile longer to finally play it through myself. I still think Ocarina of Time is one of the top games ever made, certainly one of N64's finest moments.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Twilight Princess too. It had a bit of a darker tone to it than what Zelda is used to seeing and I loved the soundtrack.
                      strange to see a playstation gamer appreciate nintendo games.
                      i don't know many people like that.

a lot of people i know where hugely disappointd with twilight princess.

have you played link to the past snes.
                      majoras mask N64
                      and zelda NES.

without a doubt oot is one of the finest games ever made.

as far as i know it took 3 yrs to make,
                      good graphics,loads of weapons,great cutscenes and music to each level and everywhere else.

fave cutscene is from where you go back to hyrule castle with the 3 pendants from then till you meet sheik really zelda who tells you you must o to the graveyard to get the hookshot to get into the forest temple.

link to the past is my fave in the game the camera looks down on you.

for me this game is better than oot but not by much.

wind waker has some amazing music,love how many different expressions link shows trough out the game.
                      cutscenes are just brilliant.
                      an awful lot of water in it.which i don't mind but a lot of people did not like.
                      yet again superb music.the cutscene where the king of red lions who is a boat shows himself as he really is and tells you and tetra really zelda who she is and the history of ganon and hyrule castle, and how it ended up at the bottom of the ocean.
                      here is the link//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfHe03A8_0I

majoras mask is short but very hard compared to other zelda games.
                      only 4 levels but tough.
                      looking forward to syward sword.???
                      Last edited by darren; 11-09-2010, 01:57.

Comment

here is the link to that scene in wind waker.
                        the scene where tetra finds she is zelda.
                        amazing.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfHe03A8_0I

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          you not have the patience for zelda kaz.
                          No, I've never been a fan of RPGs. I prefer shoot 'em ups and simple games.
                          sigpic
                          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Brilliant scene that Darren, The Zelda games really do have some magic to them. Cheers for bringing back memories of playing Windwaker too, man I put so much time into that game and loved it.

As for Link to The Past, I did pick it up on the Advance a good few years back and played it for a bit and never completed it. Saying that though I didn’t really use my Advance a great deal as it was probably a bit of an impulse buy . Maybe one day though I will go back to it, I know how highly Zelda fans regard it.

Majora’s Mask was kinda the same, I played it on the Zelda collection disc on the GC and I have to admit I thought it was fantastic. I loved the freakiness of it, it was such a dark, tragic story and it really captured my imagination. However, like LTTP I just stopped playing it and never went back to it. I still have my save games though so one day I will finish it!

As for the latest instalment, I think it will be a great game and I think the world is ready for another Zelda game. I know this would never happen because Nintendo are a family-friendly brand, but I have always wanted a much darker, adult take on the Zelda universe. Twilight Princess was a massive step in this direction but I would have liked things pushed a bit further, either way I’m sure Skyward Sword will be a huge success and I look forward to playing it.

Take a listen to this, apparently this piece of music plays extremely low in the background when you first discover sunken Hyrule in Windwaker. I had never heard this before and it really captures the mystery of the sunken castle, very weird but very atmospheric too! Sealed Hyrule Castle

Comment

An ex-boyfriend of mine was into D&D. He tried to get me involved but I wasn't fussed, except for the black pudding ooze! That sounds like my kind of creature! Do you think I could get one as a pet?
                              Last edited by Trickyvee; 11-09-2010, 20:39.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X