carriage clocks with spinning balls in the bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carriage clocks with spinning balls in the bottom

These seemed to be very popular in the 80s. I know because watching the balls spinning backwards and forwards was may main source of entertainment when stuck in the middle of boring adult conversation between my mam and her friends at their various houses. Do they still make them? I 'd secretly quite like one
    1976 Vintage

Re: carriage clocks with spinning balls in the bottom

We had one of those ball clocks, but you just triggered another memory off.....
    I'm sure we had a dome shaped one with little people inside (?? )weather man and woman maybe but I dont really remember them coming in and out of a building like the big weather clocks! maybe they just danced together, anyone??
    Heather

Comment

I remember my Grandad had one, & it got given to one of my cousins when he moved.

My Aunt might have it now, but the glass dome went missing along the way.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
        We had one of those ball clocks, but you just triggered another memory off.....
        I'm sure we had a dome shaped one with little people inside (?? )weather man and woman maybe but I dont really remember them coming in and out of a building like the big weather clocks! maybe they just danced together, anyone??
        My Grandad had the one with the little people inside, might have been 4 of them (?). I think I remember the glass dome lifted off. He had a couple of the ball clocks too - all the rage back then.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
          My Grandad had the one with the little people inside, might have been 4 of them (?). I think I remember the glass dome lifted off. He had a couple of the ball clocks too - all the rage back then.
          Yes I do remember the dome lifting off and I think you are right it did have four people, very much like the ball clocks just had people instead of balls!
          Heather

Comment

Here's a load of old Balls

Comment

no people clocks Sixty? :cry:
              Heather

Comment

Everyone seems to have had one of these at some point. ours was Number Three, although Number Ten is quite classy

Comment

We had a ball one too, IIRC the people one may have been white around the base rather than brass or silver and I also think the white base may have had painted flowers on.
                  Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                    no people clocks Sixty? :cry:
                    Good God! No..Even the Argos catalogue isn't that tacky!

Comment

It wasn't tacky, it was beautiful, very ornate. I remember we were allowed to look but not touch or even breath to hard around it.
                      Heather

Comment

ROFL ! Just been on the Bradford Exchange site - sells all sorts of collectables and based near us in Stoke. They have carriage clocks with aeroplanes, robins, the Flying Scotsman and ...... ELVIS
                        Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                        <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

How on Earth do you get the Flying Scotsman (or a mini version) on a carriage clock??

Comment

It's a tiny minature in the clock between signpost for London to Edinburgh

http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_in...52c91263513938

http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_in...2d4f1263547202
                            Last edited by joybee; 15-01-2010, 01:03.
                            Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                            <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Dear God! that's Franklin Mintastic!

Comment

Working...
                              X