Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Proficiency Tests

Default Cycling Proficiency Tests

These days, it's 'Bikeability' and 'Cyclewise'. But who remembers the Cycling Proficiency courses of the 70s? I think they were run by RoSPA.

Around the age of eleven, I recall our school playground being marked out with bollards and tape. One afternoon a week for about six weeks, we turned up with our bicycles and rode round the marked area as men with clipboards made notes. At the end of the course, if you passed, (most did), you got a little triangular enamel badge.

Who completed and passed the test in the 70s? Does anyone still have their badge? I would love to see a picture of one.

Default Re: Cycling Proficiency Tests

I can remember seeing it being done in my Primary school playground, but don't think I ever took it.

I remember doing mine in the evenings after school in the spring of 1988. I can't remember where the badge went but I've still got a cycling guide book & a Highway Code.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I used to watch them out of the window in the Juniors, but didn't take one myself.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Yes, I took mine, nervously and got my little green and red badge. Proud of it at the time, it vanished many years ago.

There's one going at the moment:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1960s-CYCLING-...12110001r20761
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BINcycleprofenamel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	2543
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Quote Originally Posted by Emettman View Post
    Yes, I took mine, nervously and got my little green and red badge. Proud of it at the time, it vanished many years ago.

There's one going at the moment: (pic)
    Thanks so much for this, Emettman. Great to see that little badge again after all these years.

I remember two big Glasgow polismen came to our school to assess us. The older one took a fancy to my bike which was quite conservative compared to my fellow schoolmates who all had drop-handlebar racers, he did a few laps round the playground on my bike! It made my day and I passed with distinction!

I've got my certificate somewhere and I think I might still have my badge as well. I'll have to have a rummage around and see if I can find it.

Remember doing mine,riding around cones in the playground.I got a certificate but didn't remember getting a badge,that was until i saw the pic above! nice one.

Found a box of my old certificates last night,and look what was inside: