Cycling Proficiency Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cycling Proficiency Tests

I've still got my badge and certificate which are exactly the same as the ones here Must have been mid '70s and I remember failing it once. This thread is the second time the cycling proficiency test has popped up recently. Watching this, earlier in the week, brought it all flooding back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS7hIL8S_aA - Great soundtrack.

Ah, the Children's Film Foundation, where art thou now?

Comment

Wil, that's a wondrous little film! Thanks for the link.

Comment

I did mine around 1981 or 82 I don't think I have the badge any more but have the certificate up in the loft.
        sigpic

Comment

i know we didnt have such things when i was at school and certainly never did one myself.

where they to measure ones fitness or something.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Maybe nowadays we should bring back the Cycling Proficiency Test

What with all the traffic on the roads nowadays & the fact certain cyclists disregard red traffic lights and the like

There has recently been talk about cyclists having third party insurance & a registration number plate fitted to the bicycle

But for starters I reckon we should reintroduce the Cycling Proficiency Test
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I did mine when I was 9 or 10, around '83 or '84, I think.

Comment

I remember them well, probably because I at first assisted our local council's Road Safety Officer every Wednesday, my day off, for many years, and was an Instructor and Examiner, and later taking on the role myself for the princely sum of £25 per year, paid quarterly. When I was obliged to it give up, having a change of employment, then Mon-Fri, one of our local councillors took over, by profession a school Kiddie-catcher, the stipend was immediately increased to £100 per year, plus expenses.

I enjoyed this immensely and still bump into former "students" who remember my sessions after almost 50years.

The tests/training still takes place under the responsibility of the County Council, where trainers are now paid a salary.

Comment

I did the ROSPA cycling proficiency course/test back in 1983 I think. Started out doing simple stuff like going around traffic cones in the school yard, doing hand signals for turning before cycling on an actual road beside the school. I'm sure everybody that passed got a red reflective triangle to put on their bikes and maybe a certificate?

Comment

Cycling Proficiency was replaced by Bikeability in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6494309.stm

Comment

I took mine at my junior school (at age 9) on my Raleigh Boxer. You weren't allowed to ride your bike to school unless you'd taken and passed the Cycling Proficiency, good idea really.

We also got our postcodes stamped on the bottom bracket of our bikes there.

Comment

My primary school didn't offer cycling proficiency when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                          Cycling Proficiency was replaced by Bikeability in 2007.
                          Because we can't expose children to actual words like "proficiency"!

Comment

At what point in time were kids made to wear helmets? I have seen old photos of cycling proficiency from the 1980s and there were no mountain bikes and none of the kids had a helmet.

Comment

I remember helmets coming in at the start of the 1990s.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Did anybody have cycling lessons in PE or bike days, where kids would bring in bikes from home, at primary school?

There used to have a bike day in Y4 at my primary school and kids were allowed to ride their bikes in the school playground.

Comment

Working...
                                X