Westward Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westward Television

Does anyone remember Westward Television?

It was the ITV franchise holder for south west England from 1961 to 1981.

When I was little, I always enjoyed Gus Honeybun's Birthdays. A Westward presenter would read out kids' birthday cards, whilst Gus did bunny hops or pressed a magic button as requested by the kid mentioned on the card. Sadly no-one sent in a card for me.:cry:

Then there was the main regional magazine at 6pm: Westward Diary. Here are some of the prenters whose names I remember:
    Kenneth MacLeod
    Judi Spiers
    Jeniffer Clulow
    Roger Shaw (he tended to read the news, and was also chief announcer between programmes)
    Ian Stirling
    Graham Danton (he did the weather forecast)
    Topline Broadhurst (he did a gardening slot one day a week)
    Ted Tuckerman (he did a fishing slot on Fridays)

There was a special slot within Westward Diary some nights, like "Pick of the Post".

Then of course there was the Westward ship. Here's the first version I remember, and revised version that was introduced circa 1978/9 and lasted till New Year's Eve 1981.

Sadly Westward TV lost its franchise to Television South West (TSW). Westward was supposd to broadcast until 31 December 1981, but (so I read somewhere) for some reason ceased broadcasting on 11 August 1981. TSW took over next day, but continued broadcasting under the Westward name until 31 December 1981, and began using their own name from 1 January 1982.
    Last edited by Star Attraction; 30-01-2010, 13:20.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Re: Westward Television

Sorry the above links to the Westward ship don't work. Here's two alternative links which do work:
    Here's the first version I remember, and revised version that was introduced circa 1978/9 and lasted till New Year's Eve 1981.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I used to watch Westward and loved Gus always helped by one on the presenters you mentioned, I used to like Judi spiers the best.
      I think TSW took over Gus but I seem to remember a newer cleaner brighter Gus which was never the same.
      Also am I correct in thinking that one day he bounced so hard that one of his ears fell off?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
        I think TSW took over Gus but I seem to remember a newer cleaner brighter Gus which was never the same.
        When TSW took over from Westward 1 Jan 1982, there was a question "Will Gus Honeybun Survive?". Well indeed he did, TSW kept him on for Gus's Magic Birthdays until they lost the franchise 31 Dec 1992. When Westcountry took over from TSW on 1 January 1993, they didn't want Gus anymore, so Gus moved to Flambards at Helston where he now sits in a grotto, along with loads of other Gus memorabilia.

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
        Also am I correct in thinking that one day he bounced so hard that one of his ears fell off?
        I don't remember that, but then again, I hardly ever saw Gus once TSW took over.
        I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Working...
        X