Default Re: falklands war...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoc View Post
    hi here a slide show i put together, for those that remember 1982,,,,,,
    Falklands part one
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/14/
    Falklands part two.
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/12/
    Both those links Jamesoc link to this:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

It may be my end so can anyone else link to those video's?

Oh I see posted 31st January 2010 - 4 years ago so that's why

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Last edited by Twocky61; 27-08-2014 at 16:59. Reason: Realised Why Links Dead lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I can't link them either.

I always forget to check the date of posts lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I thought one of the best documentaries about the Falklands was this one from 1992 which features interviews with some of the participants from both sides.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgmos0Q6xK0

I was only 9 years old when the war was on but seeing the General (General Moore?) who was leading the British troops at the time on TV must have inspired me as the next day I decided along with a friend to knock on some neighbours doors to raise money for the injured soldiers coming back home from the warzone. I don't think we collected much but when I got home with the money I was told off that I shouldn't have done it. I rather sheepishly had to take all the money back to the people that had given it to me!

This happened as I was doing A levels. I was absolutely glued to it, rushing home from school to see the news each day.

I was Royal Navy mad, had a scholarship to go to dartmouth, which would have been late 1982.

I'd spent time at sea on HMS Arrow when I was 14 and 15 and she was out there, took a bomb but survived, and I knew some of the crew still.

Most exciting thing in my life still .... Age 14, being "smuggled" aboard HMS Arrow (smuggled in the fact the MOD didn't know) and went with her down to Gibraltar, returning on HMS Newcastle. Was made an honourary member of the wardroom, was given watches, I can't even expres how exciting this was for a Navy mad 14 year old. I did a ship to ship transfer, just a sling under my armpits (imagine them being able to do that now with a kid!), got a taste of tear gas during annual gas mask testing. We were also "attacked" by the French Air Force and German fast patrol boats.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

What great memories, Natator. No way that would be allowed today.

I was in my penultimate year of college in spring 1982. I remember so clearly the ships being cheered as they left the UK. Also, they got a great send-off from Gibraltar. I remember being on the top deck of a bus listening to a small portable radio when news of the first Vulcan raid broke.

Argentina Army Visor Cap
    Lieutenant Colonel, Engineers

From my collection. I think I had posted it before in the What Do You Collect thread but it disappeared when Photobucket got greedy.