http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/14/
    Falklands part two.
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/12/

Re: falklands war...

Very interesting slide shows, thanks for sharing
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Another one of my home made productions.

Comment

Yes, many thanks for posting this - I was at college in 82 and I remember the mighty Vulcan operation Black Buck - the efforts of the Victor Tanker force, the Harriers, and the news reports on TV that we sat around pensivley watching at teatime to see what our boys were doing.

Brian Hanrahan who was reporting for ITN News at the time commented on the Harrier Force - He said "I counted them all out and I counted them all back in"

I also remember the homecoming with the QE2, with all the mums and girlfriends waiting to see their sons and husbands.

Comment

It was NEVER referred to as "The Falklands War" at the time however. It was always "The Falklands CONFLICT", very diplomatic, although who the hell the government thought they were fooling.......

Comment

At the risk of sounding trivial, one of my memories was that the opening game of the 1982 World Cup was banned from TV, because it featured Argentina against Belgium. In the end, it might have been good for national morale to have seen it, as Belgium won.

The scary thing is, really hope it doesn't happen again. I have some Argentine friends and they're cool guys - they really don't care that much for the islands as the British media suggest, it's just something that stirs up their equivalent of BNP-style yobboes. But the Kirchners (corrupt couple stepped straight out of a soap opera) who run the country are mental, and rely on these yobboes for votes, so I wouldn't be surprised by anything they do. It's just so the last thing anyone needs at any time, but especially now.

Comment

i was only a baby during the Falklands but my dad was in the Royal Marines and got shipped off there to fight in it, he also got shot in that war, the bullet went through his back and came out his side (or vice versa), you should see the enormous scars on his back.

Comment

Climbed on top of the bus shelter down at Weston shore to wave the Canberra home, absolutely heaving.

Comment

A young man who lived down the road from where I used to live was in the Welsh Guards at the time of the conflict. He was injured during the Sir Galahad bombing by Argentine planes and lost one of his legs. I remember the fantastic huge street party that took place when he returned back home.

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
                    It was NEVER referred to as "The Falklands War" at the time however. It was always "The Falklands CONFLICT", very diplomatic, although who the hell the government thought they were fooling.......
                    You are right it was never referred to as a war because it wasn't

the British government never declared a state of war between the two countries so it was only ever a conflict/ crisis and fighting was referred to as hostilities
                    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Originally posted by jamesoc View Post
                      hi here a slide show i put together, for those that remember 1982,,,,,,
                      Falklands part one
                      http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/14/
                      Falklands part two.
                      http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/12/
                      Both those links Jamesoc link to this:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

It may be my end so can anyone else link to those video's?

Oh I see posted 31st January 2010 - 4 years ago so that's why

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Last edited by Twocky61; 27-08-2014, 16:59. Reason: Realised Why Links Dead lol
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I can't link them either.

Comment

I always forget to check the date of posts lol
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I thought one of the best documentaries about the Falklands was this one from 1992 which features interviews with some of the participants from both sides.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgmos0Q6xK0

Comment

I was only 9 years old when the war was on but seeing the General (General Moore?) who was leading the British troops at the time on TV must have inspired me as the next day I decided along with a friend to knock on some neighbours doors to raise money for the injured soldiers coming back home from the warzone. I don't think we collected much but when I got home with the money I was told off that I shouldn't have done it. I rather sheepishly had to take all the money back to the people that had given it to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X