Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any historic events the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any historic events the day you were born?

Apparently my mother smiled, then dropped the child (me).

So that was pretty historic.

Comment

Linda McCartney is charged in US with possession of marijuana on 3rd of march 1975 one day before i was born.
      thats the closest i can get.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Probably the most significant world event that happens on my birthday is American Independance Day.
        - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
        - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

In the world of Corrie it seems that Stan Ogden bought a tandem off Billy Walker.

Comment

JFK was shot the day I was born............22/11/63

Comment

I was born on the then Chancellor of the Exchequer Denis Healey's 61st birthday - amazing how dates of birth of family members coincide with dates connected with former Chancellors of the Exchequer! A very long story.

The radio presenter Tony Brandon was actually broadcasting on the air on BBC Radios 1 and 2 at the very moment I was born - it would have been ten minutes into that programme.

I visited the Local Studies department of Nottingham Central Library in November 1994 to have a look for the very first time at the microfilm edition of the Nottingham Evening Post which was published on the day I was born and I was hooked on them for a long time afterwards - I looked at the dates of birth of other relatives and saw the newspaper that was published on that day as well - nothing too exciting. That inspired me in January 1995 to get a copy of the Daily Express published on the day I was born from Historic Newspapers and it was fascinating to see what was happening on that day.

Coronation Street was mentioned two posts previously, and as I was born on a Wednesday, there was an episode on the day I was born. Granada Plus shown it in September 1997, and funnily enough Stan and Hilda's "Muriel" [sic] had been damaged by an overflowing bath upstairs when Hilda had told Stan to take more baths to save money, and Stan had fallen asleep, leaving the bath to overflow and the water dripping down to the living room. Oh, and Albert Tatlock bought a jar of strawberry jam from the Corner Shop for Ken's son Peter as well.

Other programmes on television on the day I was born included Z Cars; Come Dancing (no "Strictly" in the title back then); a science show which pondered whether or not time actually went backwards; a music show with Tony Hatch; and a Conservative Party political broadcast!

In the Daily Express newspaper there was mention of a smallpox vaccine for people coming home from holiday; the schoolgirl Genette Tate's disappearance was still in the news; and it was mentioned the Noddy Holder of Slade fame had been beaten up. Thankfully, all the excitement about test tube babies and Louise Brown had died down as it was five weeks after the event.

A friend of mine was actually born on the same day as the Brighton Bombings - I bet you can work that date out!
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

George, you are making me feel very old, for I remember that episode of Coronation Street in which Stan's bath overflows.

Comment

Makes a change from someone making me feel old.

But do you remember it from its ITV transmission? It's cheating if you refer to when Granada Plus showed it.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Nothing on mine.....Heres a link that may be useful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/y...59/default.stm
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Makes a change from someone making me feel old.

But do you remember it from its ITV transmission? It's cheating if you refer to when Granada Plus showed it.

Yep, from its original transmission, when the programme was really worth watching, with fine actors working with good scripts that fused drama and humour, and very strong female characters like Elsie Tanner/Howard, Annie Walker, Bet Lynch and Ena Sharples.

Comment

Not not on the actual day I was born but I did share Elvis' lifetime until is was exactly 6 months until he sadly passed on on my Mum's Birthday in 1977 (the year I was born too though)

So obviously though I can't remember Elvis then, I always say "Elvis was in my lifetime" (just)

80sChav

Comment

Wikipedia tells me these happened on my day:

1492Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba on his first voyage to the New World
                          1636 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony votes to establish a theological college, which would later become Harvard University
                          1664 – The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established
                          1726 – The novel Gulliver's Travels is published
                          1835 – The United Tribes of New Zealand are established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence
                          1886 – President Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty
                          1893 – Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique receives its première performance only nine days before the composer's death
                          1922 – Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government
                          1958John XXIII is elected Pope
                          1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Premier Nikita Khrushchev orders the removal of Soviet missiles from Cuba
                          2007Cristina Fernández de Kirchner becomes the first woman elected President of Argentina
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                            Wikipedia tells me these happened on my day:

1492Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba on his first voyage to the New World
                            1636 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony votes to establish a theological college, which would later become Harvard University
                            1664 – The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established
                            1726 – The novel Gulliver's Travels is published
                            1835 – The United Tribes of New Zealand are established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence
                            1886 – President Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty
                            1893 – Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique receives its première performance only nine days before the composer's death
                            1922 – Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government
                            1958John XXIII is elected Pope
                            1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Premier Nikita Khrushchev orders the removal of Soviet missiles from Cuba
                            2007Cristina Fernández de Kirchner becomes the first woman elected President of Argentina
                            Blimey!
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Blimey!
                              Check yours out! Go into Wikipedia, put the date (not the year!) into the search box and voila!
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

To be fair, we do have a 0.36% chance of something happening on our birthday.

I have been aware of a lot of things that have happened on my birthday for years.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X