Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any historic events the day you were born?

Default Re: Any historic events the day you were born?

Not not on the actual day I was born but I did share Elvis' lifetime until is was exactly 6 months until he sadly passed on on my Mum's Birthday in 1977 (the year I was born too though)

So obviously though I can't remember Elvis then, I always say "Elvis was in my lifetime" (just)

80sChav

Wikipedia tells me these happened on my day:

1492Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba on his first voyage to the New World
    1636 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony votes to establish a theological college, which would later become Harvard University
    1664 – The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established
    1726 – The novel Gulliver's Travels is published
    1835 – The United Tribes of New Zealand are established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence
    1886 – President Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty
    1893 – Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique receives its première performance only nine days before the composer's death
    1922 – Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government
    1958John XXIII is elected Pope
    1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Premier Nikita Khrushchev orders the removal of Soviet missiles from Cuba
    2007Cristina Fernández de Kirchner becomes the first woman elected President of Argentina
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Wikipedia tells me these happened on my day:

1492Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba on his first voyage to the New World
    1636 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony votes to establish a theological college, which would later become Harvard University
    1664 – The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established
    1726 – The novel Gulliver's Travels is published
    1835 – The United Tribes of New Zealand are established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence
    1886 – President Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty
    1893 – Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique receives its première performance only nine days before the composer's death
    1922 – Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government
    1958John XXIII is elected Pope
    1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Premier Nikita Khrushchev orders the removal of Soviet missiles from Cuba
    2007Cristina Fernández de Kirchner becomes the first woman elected President of Argentina
    Blimey!
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Blimey!
    Check yours out! Go into Wikipedia, put the date (not the year!) into the search box and voila!

To be fair, we do have a 0.36% chance of something happening on our birthday.

I have been aware of a lot of things that have happened on my birthday for years.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Check yours out! Go into Wikipedia, put the date (not the year!) into the search box and voila!
    Sally brown sister of peanuts star Charlie brown was created....wow big deal, what a great day for mankind
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I was finding out how many people who were either famous and with a claim to fame who was born on the same day as myself some 15 years ago - looking on Google and typing in my date of birth.

On one of the British football club websites at the time there was a Bulgarian footballer who did (as they mentioned their dates of birth on the pages) - managed to get a signed photograph of him when I wrote and told him. It was not the club that I supported but it doesn't matter.

I also found an American footballer based somewhere in the States of course, and I am certain that an Irish skater does as well, although some sources say that she was born the following year. A Canadian actor was also born on that date as well.

And a Playboy model also shared my date of birth and she was the Playboy of the month at some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I was finding out how many people who were either famous and with a claim to fame who was born on the same day as myself some 15 years ago - looking on Google and typing in my date of birth.

On one of the British football club websites at the time there was a Bulgarian footballer who did (as they mentioned their dates of birth on the pages) - managed to get a signed photograph of him when I wrote and told him. It was not the club that I supported but it doesn't matter.

I also found an American footballer based somewhere in the States of course, and I am certain that an Irish skater does as well, although some sources say that she was born the following year. A Canadian actor was also born on that date as well.

And a Playboy model also shared my date of birth and she was the Playboy of the month at some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s.
    Ha, you slipped that last one in quite sneakily...

Ha, you slipped that last one in quite sneakily...
    Would you have said that if I had mentioned it first?