Were you a monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Were you a monitor?

I was a classroom monitor.Had to be in Primary 7 and we monitored every class in the school,usually in pairs.I think I was a p3 monitor.

tulip

Comment

In the final year of secondary school I was a Prefect, but I didn't do all that much. I was asked to patrol the bike sheds at break times once, but I think I only did it once or twice. I've never been all that bothered about taking charge!
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I was screened for the monitor's job but didn't get it ...

Comment

One of the duties that was hotly contested was the the afternoon register, we would go around the classes and the teacher would have slips of paper with absentees names on, we would then transfer this to the registers in the school office.
          Obviously an opportunity for profit arose and some miscreants used to sell a 'mistake' by marking an absentee as present 'accidently', fine as long as the fire alarm doesnt go off.

I got to be a prefect on the school bus to and from school, which involved shouting and threatening the 3rd years when they were messing about,
          The ultimate in power was to be in the 6th form, we could stalk the corridors and grounds at will and hoof out anyone caught indoors at break times or frog march anyone caught outside in class time straight to the heads office as well as confiscating cigarettes from the 5th formers at 'smokers corner'

happy days

Comment

I suppose if I had been given the opportunity to be a monitor, I would've wanted to be a large one clad in formica, with black switches and a big formica cabinet with doors and a Ferguson Videostar underneath, attached to a black metal frame with wheels so I could be pushed around the school into and out of various classrooms. There, I would make trouble for the teachers by refusing to show anything until they had gone off and got the technician from the Science lab to start the video for them!

Thankyouverymuch! I'm here all week.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Primary school I volunteered to be a dinner monitor, didn't know what it was then found out we sat at the head of the table and the other kids gave us their plates and we had to scrape off what was left into a bucket. sounds rubbish but great for getting rid of food I didn't like as the other part of the job was to grass up kids who left too much.

middle school I was a prefect for the final year and as above at wet play times we supervised classes. I was also very open to bribery. Our enemies were the librarians, there were many an attack on the library, just running through pushing all the books out.

Comment

I was a school librarian in secondary school; a bit similar to being a prefect
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  In the last year of Junior school, I was a 'tray monitor'. At lunchtimes, the kids would file passed the serving counters to collect their meals and then walk over to a vacant table. We monitors would collect the trays and put them back in the pile at the start of the queue. When everyone else had finished their lunch, we'd sit down for our own meal which was almost always a larger portion!

I also recall milk monitors and register monitors. Were there monitors for other tasks? What are your memories?
                  We never had tray monitors at my Primary Marine Boy, though we had Milk Monitors 9but this was reserved for older years) to show the younger ones "the light" so to speak I recall! At secondary Schools I dreamed of being a Prefect but am glad I was'nt but a un-happy I never made it too, as being a Prefect would have been like being a Manager/Boss (which is'nt my style to have authority) as such and as well I have heard a saying " a prefect is someone who thinks they are perfect" which is true as they mop up the Teachers inaccuracies and try to cause divisions with Kids I believe and wreck friendships blah, blah, blah sadly

80sChav

Comment

No it wasn't. Bloody book pushers with no authority. I see that's stayed with you a long time, still trying to push that line. Bloody wannabes that's what you were.

Comment

We had book monitors in class at primary and milk monitors in class. I have a feeling we also had dinner hall and playground monitors at primary as well. I was always on the opposite side of the fence so they got me into a lot of trouble. Nasty little tale tattlers.

On a bright note we had a male helper in the library at secondary who came at me for no reason apart from being a bit noisy. I pushed the end bookshelf which took three other big ones over like dominoes, and he got buried under both them and a mountain of books. Got expelled for a few weeks, but when we left school we became good mates for a long time after. He often recounted his first meeting with me and being buried under a mountain of books,.

Comment

Never heard of a book monitor.
                        Where they just the pupil who give out the books at the start of class.
                        If id have been a milk monitor id have drank everybody's milk.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        we had book monitors in class at primary and milk monitors in class. I have a feeling we also had dinner hall and playground monitors at primary as well. I was always on the opposite side of the fence so they got me into a lot of trouble. Nasty little tale tattlers.

On a bright note we had a male helper in the library at secondary who came at me for no reason apart from being a bit noisy. I pushed the end bookshelf which took three other big ones over like dominoes, and he got buried under both them and a mountain of books. Got expelled for a few weeks, but when we left school we became good mates for a long time after. He often recounted his first meeting with me and being buried under a mountain of books,.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I won a prize for, effectively, being Librarian Of The Year! Not a big hit with the laydeez...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

In Junior school I was a monitor at lunchtime. Kids were assigned to a particular table in the dining hall--8 per table and you sat at the same table each day. Two monitors per table and it was their job to collect the plates and cutlery from a table at the end of the hall, then collect the food from the serving hatch, take it to their table and share it out. They also had to take the dirty plates/cutlery/food containers back to the hatch and repeat the process for pudding.

There were register, dinner money and milk monitors. Another duty, which thankfully I was never assigned, was the 'Sick Squad.' When a pupil was sick over the floor it was the Sick Squad's job to clean it up with buckets of disinfected water and mops--not a popular job

Comment

I was a milk monitor in the Infants...
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I did it a couple of times - it was done on Friday afternoons, I think. The milk monitor used to be given a wooden clipboard making them look like Denis Norden, and the clipboard had a pencil attached with some worn string, and a piece of paper clipped onto it so that they could note down how many in each class had milk. Looked like someone doing market research or something!

A few years later, I was a science monitor at comprehensive school - certainly was better than going out at break times.
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X