No announcement yet.

Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Another horrible childhood smell...

I was often taken to this big clothing factory that used to open to the public at weekends. It used to have makeshift changing cubicles set up in the canteen which was a small, enclosed room. That room used to stink! I remember begging my mam not to make me try clothes on so I didn't have to go in the stinky room. Rotten stale smoke and food. Bleh!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: Sights, sounds, smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
      That horrible hospital smell, of discinfectant, also in the dentists too.
      Freshly laid tar.
      Freshly cut grass
      Smoke from chimneys.
      could'nt agree more Krazy! these would top my list as well, how about the smell of rain on the road after a long hot dry spell, usually a thunderstorm, also for anyone that was/is into motorbikes, a British bike engine always smelt different to a japanese one when stripped down!

Comment

Chimney smoke, especially on a crisp, winter's day always takes me back, in a nice way, to my earliest memories as a child.
        Not so nice is the smell of school dinners; particularly that awful stew (which they used to call Goulash but which was actually nothing like that wonderful Hungarian dish, I later found out). And the smell of fear, when you had been summoned to the headmaster's office...I later realised it was just his aftershave!

Comment

Another top smell (they mostly seem to be smells for me!) is that of chopped and grated raw veg - carrots, onions, celery and the like, all mixed together when do them for a stew. When I smell the combination I'm always 3 again, standing in kitchen in the afternoon as my mam prepares that day's dinner with the back door open to blazing spring sunshine.

The smell of the freezers in the supermarket often takes me back to very happy days of my uncle taking me out on trips to the supermarket when I was young. We didn't have a car and rarely went so it was a big treat for me, plus going out with uncle always seemed like an adventure. He never married and had no children himself so spoiled me rotten to make up for it!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: Sights, sounds and smells that take you back to being a kid again

Trickvee... I know where you are coming from. My late Mum built a "Wendy House" for me when I was around 7 years old. Timber frame work and PVC polythene walls/roof. When I think of it I can still sense the smell...

Comment

Smells - walking down the street on a warm afternoon to a friend's house and smelling all the cooking smells as I walked past houses - the most memorable being cooking onions and burgers (which we never got at home so I'm presuming!) recently I came back to England and walked down the same street with my wife at dinner time - the same smells! Something never experienced in Texas.
              The smell of a paddling pool that's been in the garage all winter being opened for the first time - always with the smell of freshly cut grass. The smell of Cornish pasties straight from the bakers under a tree in our local park. Pipe smoke and Polo mints (my Grandfather)
              Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
              Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
              While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
              Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
              -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Castrol R & Model Aircraft fuel

Comment

Christian Dior Poison, many women hate it, as do men but my Mum wore it, to me really emotionally strong women wore it.....The smell of Farleys Rusks, the scent of tobacco, polo mints or wrigleys gum in my Dads coat pockets, bits of tobacco in them too...the strangest being his sweat. It didn't 'pong' in a awful way and even my Mum liked it. Remembering it brings back memories of the old man....I remember the smell of beef burgers and chips, the smell of my Mum dry frying mixed curry powder in the kitchen and it wafting around the house...Her cooking curry...

Comment

one thing that reminds me being a kid was seeing the old scotch vhs ads.
                    they where just great.
                    the combo of the skeleton and the thing it said.
                    im gonna tell you how its gonna be re record not fade away re record not fade away..
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      one thing that reminds me being a kid was seeing the old scotch vhs ads.
                      they where just great.
                      the combo of the skeleton and the thing it said.
                      im gonna tell you how its gonna be re record not fade away re record not fade away..
                      It was right too. I've got old vids from 1982 that are still as clear as when I recorded them.

Darren, your message box is full. Trying to pm you.

The smell of old wood burning takes me back to my childhood. The area I lived in, very Coronation St with cobbled back alleys, was little by little torn down, bulldozed and burnt for "Slum clearance." They were good solid houses that just needed some modernisation.

Comment

send me the pm now clauudine.
                        Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                        It was right too. I've got old vids from 1982 that are still as clear as when I recorded them.

Darren, your message box is full. Trying to pm you.

The smell of old wood burning takes me back to my childhood. The area I lived in, very Coronation St with cobbled back alleys, was little by little torn down, bulldozed and burnt for "Slum clearance." They were good solid houses that just needed some modernisation.
                        send me the pm now claudine.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Here's a weird one. Seeing old street lights can take me back to being a kid. This reveals my geeky side as I had a thing about street lights when I was little .

Back then they were all different shapes and sizes and materials, made to different manufacturers designs from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's and I loved to look out for different ones. There was none of your halogen business either. All orange sodium or white mercury light.

Now they all look the same everywhere! It's terrible!

OK I'll stop being geeky now...
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            Here's a weird one. Seeing old street lights can take me back to being a kid. This reveals my geeky side as I had a thing about street lights when I was little .

Back then they were all different shapes and sizes and materials, made to different manufacturers designs from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's and I loved to look out for different ones. There was none of your halogen business either. All orange sodium or white mercury light.

Now they all look the same everywhere! It's terrible!

OK I'll stop being geeky now...
                            There are a few people who collect old street lights.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes there are some good web sites that individuals have set up showing their collections and snaps of 'survivors' on the street. I still get a little buzz when watching old TV shows when I spot old lamp posts in the background.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember in the summer people would have their windows open and in the early evening I would hear them putting dishes and silverware on their kitchen tables
                                sitting down to eat and chattering...the sounds made me feel secure and happy to be part of a community.

Comment

Working...
                                X