Whistling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistling

Is it just me or do you never hear people whistling nowadays? I can remember growing up in the 70's all the kids in my school could do it and you were made to feel inferior if, like me, you couldn't master it! I think it was the legacy of all the war films that were around back then as it seemed to be a very popular British thing to do in the war years. To be honest whistling sets my teeth on edge, and makes viewing "Bridge Over The River Quai" rather uncomfortable!

Re: Whistling

I remember being pleased with myself when I started to master it when I was about 5. I still can't do those loud whistles with fingers in my mouth though.

At one time it seemed that delivery men had to spend part of their days whistling a cheery tune.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I too could never manage the whole fingers in the mouth super whistle. I still can't figure out how you do it. I could make a good noise with a blade of grass though
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember everyone did it back then , i was better than my brothers and can remember my nan saying "A whistling woman and a crowing hen is neither good to god nor men" lol it didint stop me even tho i was a girl,i was the best along our terrace and even today aged.. "cough.. cough" i can still do it and still do when i desperatly need to get someones attention, the fingers in the gob mode was and still is the best lol .

Comment

I remember a lot of whistling on films.A star would let out a little whistle instead of a wow! or a whew! I very rarely hear any kind of whistle these days.I can whistle a bit,but not with fingers in my mouth,i always wanted to be able to do that.

Comment

I really hate whistling! It goes through me!
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Yes, well observed...I don't really hear people whistling nowadays much either...I also remember in the early 80s when people still used to whistle this or that in public you'd also hear the late lamented 'musical car horn' - then it became banned and some daring souls would usually only hit the horn so you'd only hear part of the tune it'd play...things just die out sadly eh?

Darren - whats the folder thing got to do with the whistling thread mate?! lol...

Comment

I can whistle. When I was a young kid I could whistle through pursed lips, although when I got my adult teeth it because impossible because my teeth where that big I had an overbite that made it impossible to whistle. I didn't let that discourage me though, I developed a method where putting the tongue pointing up behind the incisors. Over the years I've made it so that altering the airspace inside my mouth alters pitch and tone. Even altering the shape of my lips can alter the sound coming out. I've got to a point where I can replicated R2D2's whistles and chirps. I can call back to certain birds too. Of course, everybody that hears it hates it. Sod them. I enjoy it. :P

Comment

must agree M.V.

yes whistling was very common back in the day.

it was heard in films in school, in the workplace, just everywhere.

i can whistle but could never do it using fingers in my mouth.
                  and i tried to do it.

perhaps some people could just not whistle using there fingrs in their mouth no matter what.

whistling now i feel would be considered politically incorrect.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    Whistling now I feel would be considered politically incorrect.
                    Why?

Comment

because i think it would be considered rude to do it especially if it was aimed at a nice girl.
                      but seriously when out and about i hear hardly anyone do it.

go back 2 or more decades i heard it regular.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      Why?
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think there is a big big difference than whistling a tune compared to gesturing or signalling to someone. I totally don't mind if someone whistles at me in the street. If they need to get my attention then I'd rather the whistle than a shout. If they want to whistle as me because I'm attractive, then so be it. I am a sexy man and it is understandable they want a slice. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X