School Punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Punishment

I started school in 1978 I think and there were belts still in teacher's drawers,but they were never used.At secondary school it was lines and red and yellow cards you got.This was in Motherwell,Scotland.

tulip

Comment

Yes we had one specific teacher who liked throwing board rubbers and bunches of keys, in later life you realise just how stressed out he must have been and also how incapable he was at dealing with a class room full of kids.
      Also in primary school we had one "old school" teacher who used to grab you by scruff of your neck, I seem to remember it was one reason I had a clipper cut, but it didn't work he just changed to my ear instead!
      However I got to say he was a good teacher!
      sigpic

Comment

At High school I was grabbed by the jacket and dragged backwards up a set of stairs by a French assistant.Someone had hid his brolly in a desk at the back of the class,so when the bell went we all bolted,I got caught and forced to tell where it was.On reflection I should have reported him.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
          I was wondering when physical punishment was stopped at school.
          As has been previously stated it was 1986 in the state sector but the private sector was exempt from this change in the law. It was finally outlawed in the private sector in 1997 when Tony Blair came to power......

Comment

I started the infants in 1980 and I remember older kids getting the cane but by the time I moved into the juniors - 1984? - it had all been stopped.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
              I was wondering when physical punishment was stopped at school.
              About half past three in my day.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was at school from 1962 - 1973 yeah I know old git. In all that time i was wacked with a stick in junior school twice i think. Then in high school quite a few times over the years for things i did and didn't do. We had one teacher Mr Mckhie a big bully of a man allways wacking round the board rubber and nine times out of ten hitting you full on. He use to throw his bunch of keys aswel. Well one day he did and his car key was on them so we had the key No off the key. Later that day popped in to the local petrol station and brought a spare for a mrk one cortina. Funny enought that big bully was car less for a few days till they found the car in a local pond.
                But corporal punishment did he no harm apart from when it was given out wrong.

Comment

I know at my old secondary school, the PE teachers used to enjoy slapping kids across the cheeks for the most minor of reasons.

One kid I was paired with was messing around in a gym lesson, circa 1983, and *I* ended up getting a slap for it, NOT him!! And it HURT!

This practice stopped around 1984, but I do remember my first PE lesson and the class being told: "If you ever forget your kit, it's BANG-BANG across your face and straight to the Headmaster!"

They scared the hell out of me.
                  Last edited by DeptfordDraylons; 01-08-2010, 09:36.

Comment

I started high school in 1995 and we never got hit but we did get the odd chalk, board rubber, book or anything to hand thrown at us lol Mainly we were just told to stand outside the classroom, which is kinda silly really because the more rebellious ones would just go for a walk around lol

Oh just remembered, another punishment would be picking up rubbish around the school during assembly, as we had a tuck shop and there was always rubbish everywhere! it was not a very nice job lol

Comment

i was lucky as i never got the cane etc..
                      only thing that happened to me was in primary school where if you talked the teacher would grab by the ears very hard and bring to the front of the class.
                      he did it to near everyone sometimes i feel he did it just to assert his authority as the boss.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by DeptfordDraylons View Post
                        I know at my old secondary school, the PE teachers used to enjoy slapping kids across the cheeks for the most minor of reasons.

One kid I was paired with was messing around in a gym lesson, circa 1983, and *I* ended up getting a slap for it, NOT him!! And it HURT!

This practice stopped around 1984, but I do remember my first PE lesson and the class being told: "If you ever forget your kit, it's BANG-BANG across your face and straight to the Headmaster!"

They scared the hell out of me.
                        that sounds like abuse getting a slap around the face for forgetting your p e kit.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

At my primary school they didn’t use the cane, but they sometimes used a ruler, or a hand slap.

In secondary school, some of the teachers kept canes, and often threatened to use them, but rarely did so. For those who weren’t used to being hit, the threat was generally an effective deterrent.

But there were two teachers who had more original forms of physical punishment.

One of these, our form teacher when we were seven to eight, would take a dirty, smelly, wet cloth from the sink in the corner, and put it over the offender’s face. This had originated from a time when she asked us to suggest effective punishments for people who were naughty. One boy put forward that idea, and the teacher took it up. She was a rather stupid woman, and a very bad teacher.

The other one was my history teacher (who also taught PE, absurdly), when we were thirteen to fourteen. He would stand behind the offender, still seated at his desk, grasp one shoulder and press hard with his thumb against the front of the boy’s shoulder, where there is a sensitive nerve, causing him to cry out in pain. And while doing this, he was usually grinning. (It was a mixed school, but he only ever did it to boys – mostly the same two or three boys.) Despite this, he was a very popular teacher – even amongst those on the receiving end of this torture. I think they admired his machismo. They even tried doing it to each other.

I never received any kind of corporal punishment, and was rarely in trouble.
                          The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            that sounds like abuse getting a slap around the face for forgetting your p e kit.
                            Yes, I agree. I remember that my mother wrote the school an official letter of complaint about it and this particular "practice" stopped not long afterwards.

They would NEVER get away with doing that sort of thing now!

Comment

When I was 8 years old I was 'jumped' on the way home from school (I know an 8 year old walking home alone from school!!!!)and I took a beating from some kids in the next year up. My mother phoned the Headmaster the next day and gave him the names of all the kids who'd hit me. During assembly, he called them all out, lined them up in front of the school and smacked them all 6 times on the backside with his hand. This was in 1978 and I must say, they never did it again. However, I think my face is still red now from the embarrassment of being named as a grass in front of 500 kids!

Comment

The slipper was used quite a lot in my infant school. Always in assembly too for maximum effect! The headmistress would hand out a shiny penny if it was your birthday then the whack with the gym slipper if you had been naughty! What fun the 70's were!! LOL
                                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Working...
                                X