Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: School Punishment

One of our PE teachers had odd methods:

For being naughty during the lesson, he'd make you hang from the wall bars with your legs out at 90 degrees for as long as you could.

At the end of lessons he used to make us all run around the gym, then he's kick a football as hard as he could then if it hit you, you could go get changed. If he thought you deliberately dived in froont of it after it had hit a wall or two to take the sting out he'd kick it straight at you.

If we were outdoors, he'd make us stand in a circle and again kick the football at you hard, you had to stop it otherwise you had to go and get it and the rest of the kids had to do push ups till you came back.

Good times.

I wonder if detentions only happened if a teacher had also been naughty and put on detention by the Head, then they felt it would be a good time to also make some naughty kids suffer with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
      One of our PE teachers had odd methods:

For being naughty during the lesson, he'd make you hang from the wall bars with your legs out at 90 degrees for as long as you could.

At the end of lessons he used to make us all run around the gym, then he's kick a football as hard as he could then if it hit you, you could go get changed. If he thought you deliberately dived in froont of it after it had hit a wall or two to take the sting out he'd kick it straight at you.

If we were outdoors, he'd make us stand in a circle and again kick the football at you hard, you had to stop it otherwise you had to go and get it and the rest of the kids had to do push ups till you came back.

Good times.

I wonder if detentions only happened if a teacher had also been naughty and put on detention by the Head, then they felt it would be a good time to also make some naughty kids suffer with them?

Do you remember too Mulletino if you got caught doing your Tie after PE, especially if you was on the Footy or Rugger Team - they'd either hate you for it or "turn a strong blind eye"

If they hated on you for/because of it (or Negging in Modern Lingo) we had to do a variety of other excersises like Press Ups etc etc or similar ... but generaly the Footy/Ruugger Lads got away with it sadly lol

80sChav

Comment

I was in the Rugby team but i don't think that got me any slack, a few guys would pretend they "forgot" to put their tie back on after PE and would use that excuse if caught.

Our ties would also be frayed a bit at the thin end from "flicking" them at each other when getting changed.

We had another teacher who would tell you off for not having a shower after PE lessons and would sometimes stand by the shower to make sure everyone had one, sounds a bit wrong now though....
        Some kids would just stick their head in so it was wet so when he checked he thought you'd been in.....

Comment

I vividly recall an occasion when I was in the Lower Sixth at boarding school (about 17 years old). In the shower after a Rugger game I released an extremely satisfying but also extremely lethal ‘silent but deadly’ fart. All of us fled from the shower as soon as we could, reeling from the smell and accusing each other: ‘Pwoah, who made that stink?’ etc. The games master who was supervising the shower, who was ex-Army, looked completely deadpan and expressionless and made no comment as we scarpered and the smell lingered in the showers. I joined in with everyone in expressing surprise and shock.

After games the team would have tea and toast and then free time for the rest of the day. I remember it was a freezing cold day – log fire weather - and I donned a warm Guernsey fisherman’s sweater and went to the dining room with the rest of the chaps. When I was helping myself to tea and hot buttered toast, I suddenly felt myself being tickled in the ribs from behind so firmly that I could almost feel the fingers through the thick sweater. Doubling up with surprised laughter, I turned and saw it was the games master. He then stood close to me and I thought he was about to whisper something in my ear. Instead of whispering, he bellowed: ‘I know it was you who farted’. Everyone turned towards me and I could feel myself turning bright red.

Not a punishment in the traditional sense but I had never felt so embarrassed in my life!

Comment

I was in the Rugby team but i don't think that got me any slack, a few guys would pretend they "forgot" to put their tie back on after PE and would use that excuse if caught.

Our ties would also be frayed a bit at the thin end from "flicking" them at each other when getting changed.

We had another teacher who would tell you off for not having a shower after PE lessons and would sometimes stand by the shower to make sure everyone had one, sounds a bit wrong now though....
            Some kids would just stick their head in so it was wet so when he checked he thought you'd been in.....
            Hi Mulletino

That is how it worked Re;, the Tie, Re Rugby and Footy if we was any good (not as I was in the Team/s) but I was decent(ish) at them

No though we'd never ever - NEVER fray the thin side - it held too much respect for that

You mentioning the Towels though has inspired me to/reminded me I was going to make a thread about School's providing Towels at PE .... but I wont add much here and will save it for my new thread/post

hope your ok too btw bro and you got my PM as promised (abliet it was very late me gottaning round to it)??

80sChav

Comment

Yeah i had forgot about "just, sticking your head in the showers" Mulletino yeah .... that was a extremley common practice lol as too we had the scenario where Teacherss told you off for not having a Shower as you said above too mate

I couldf never frety my tie as so though - if done thin, not after all the effort and potiental harrasment of being told of and all the effort - at times we may of sqaured the end though to make it a straight end .... but it was'nt quite as cool/trendy as keeping the "V"!!!

Comment

95% of the School (over every year) had their Ties thin side-out in some format/variant - so 95% would have gottan Detention then Mullentino! They would have had to have built about 5 extra Assembly Halls to make that theory gottan put into practice!

80sChav

Comment

• We used to meet up with the boys behind the school hall building at lunch time. I was about 15 at the time and I was going out with one of the boys from 5th year. We used to sit on the wall and chat. This particular day we were the only ones there and when we were about to leave to go back to class he gave me a quick kiss. Unfortunately, my English teacher caught us. Contact of this nature was strictly forbidden and we were both sent to the headmasters study to be punished. Still remember it vividly!

Comment

• Yep, only had the cane once
                    didn’t do my homework which was read “jane eyre” over the 6 weeks holidays
                    6 boys and 4 girls didn’t read it
                    only the boys got caned
                    girls got away Scot free
                    so unfair

Comment

• The punishment on the final day of term (where usually it was Toy Day or Christmas parties) was usually normal work as if it was a normal school day - something that wouldn't have worked on a normal school day! I suppose that a detention seemed too harsh for the final day of term.

Not a school punishment as such, but if you were unable to go on a school trip (such as a parent not giving permission or something) then while the rest of the class would be enjoying themselves, the person who cannot go would have to bring their bowl or tray and join another class for the day for some work, which does seem like a punishment for not going on the school trip, but the again, one wouldn't be missing out on anymore school then the rest of the class would be. It made me think that staying at home on that day would have been better than having to go to school when the rest of the class didn't have to - it reminded me of Buddy Clark in the Nigel Hinton book Buddy.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Regarding PE,
                        we had to get to the sports hall which was about a half a mile away from the main school ,in break time , get changed and assemble in order in the hall ready for the PE lesson .
                        the first one out changed and sat down had to do one push up , the second two push ups the third ....3 push ups. There was around 30 in the class and a few of us caught on quick to put our sports kit on under our uniform in the morning before we left for school

Comment

• I used to hate Wednesday mornings between break and lunchtime - our classroom was our "changing room" as that was where we had to put our PE kit on, and then we had to travel by bus to an open field around a mile away where it was cold, and had to do PE activities - the teacher used to say "run up and down, you'll soon get warm" as if he understood how we were feeling, in which he obviously did not. It might not have been a punishment as such but it really felt like one.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by 80sChav

Btw Happy New year to mate and I tried to PM you a few days back but I think your In-box was full or something! Please try to In-box me and I hope all is as well as can be expected "Down Under" with you/for you
                            Happy new year to you too mate! I'll have a look at my inbox to see if i can clear it out, didn't realise i was that popular.

Comment

• Does anyone think in hindsight that detention actually worked as an actual punishment? At my school, detention was all about staying in at playtime/breaktime or for half an hour after school, writing out lines 100 times, "I must not...", or copying two textbook pages onto A4 paper. Was it a waste of time (and ink and paper) or did the punishment actually work and thus one never repeated the offence at school again? Was it bearable enough that the misdemeanor wasn't too bad to get the so-called punishment which was on offer - and some did it again?

After all, there wasn't mush difference between being suspended or expelled and breaking up for the summer holidays - they both meant no more going to school!
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• I was at secondary school during the 1970s and had the slipper (PE teacher's plimsoll). And on one occasion, a whack on my backside with a cricket stump! From the same PE teacher

Comment

Working...
                                X