Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: School Punishment

Default Re: School Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Thing with detention is the teacher doesn't want to stay after school hours any more than you do, as like you, he wants to get back to his family and you nowadays back to the computer games/internet
    Perhaps Twochy yer, but a lot give them because of Power!

When I was young and naive and studied Public servioces at college (and hoped it would lead to say a Fire-Brigade Job or a copper) I always desired that power of "doing somebody" for being a CM over a "Double Yellow" but I never actually pursued those Careers in the end - but the object was there - just like Teacher's can be conroling and think they are the Law (as rightly or not you can say their position is very similar to the makor Public Services/Forces)

Thankfully though I gave up that Outlook on life - as described above and reralised it was'nt correct to seek Power as so!!

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I am certain that one or two teachers smacked pupils at Junior School (sounds horrible in hindsight), but they wouldn't have got away with it now. I know that teachers were "loco parentis" or whatever it means in Latin for "in lieu of parents", but surely even back in the 1980s when I was at that school, teachers shouldn't have had that authority as parents would.

The thing was, being in detention for not going out almost defeated the object of not wanting to going out anyway. I had a science monitor's job at break arranged by a Biology teacher we had (and I am still in touch with her), and I enjoyed it, I did my job well (a bit like a security guard) and I got awards for it. However, not all teachers went along with it, and there was one who told us to get outside, even though I more or less had permission to be in the room at break.

I don't know about the smacking to be fair george, but my Primary definitley still had the cain until about 1984 (or at the very latest 1986).

I recall vividly some-one from another Class there (or Year may-be) getting the Cain very late on

80sChav

There was a rumour that the Headteacher of our Junior School had a cane in his office which he used if anyone was sent to him for doing something they shouldn't be doing - the rumour was that it was the same cane that his predecessors had used when the school had first opened back in the 1920s. Me and two others were sent to his office for some reason and I was almost certain that the rumours were true - however, my experience had proved that it wasn't true. By the time I left I am certain that the "official" assaults had ended.

The headteacher also had an unusual surname which was the same as someone who was famous, and there was another rumour that he was related to that person - not true again. You know what it's like how youngsters like to cook up conspiracy theories and rumours about one thing and another. As I said before, the Edwina Currie / Salmonella in Eggs fracas in the news back in 1988 had started rumours in the playground by kids that eggs could kill you if you ate them.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I got the slipper at school in 1985 aged 11

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I got the slipper at school in 1985 aged 11
    I think that was the classic standard for PE teachers - either that or the plimsoll. An odd one never a pair.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Debbie.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

One of our PE teachers had odd methods:

For being naughty during the lesson, he'd make you hang from the wall bars with your legs out at 90 degrees for as long as you could.

At the end of lessons he used to make us all run around the gym, then he's kick a football as hard as he could then if it hit you, you could go get changed. If he thought you deliberately dived in froont of it after it had hit a wall or two to take the sting out he'd kick it straight at you.

If we were outdoors, he'd make us stand in a circle and again kick the football at you hard, you had to stop it otherwise you had to go and get it and the rest of the kids had to do push ups till you came back.

Good times.

I wonder if detentions only happened if a teacher had also been naughty and put on detention by the Head, then they felt it would be a good time to also make some naughty kids suffer with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    One of our PE teachers had odd methods:

For being naughty during the lesson, he'd make you hang from the wall bars with your legs out at 90 degrees for as long as you could.

At the end of lessons he used to make us all run around the gym, then he's kick a football as hard as he could then if it hit you, you could go get changed. If he thought you deliberately dived in froont of it after it had hit a wall or two to take the sting out he'd kick it straight at you.

If we were outdoors, he'd make us stand in a circle and again kick the football at you hard, you had to stop it otherwise you had to go and get it and the rest of the kids had to do push ups till you came back.

Good times.

I wonder if detentions only happened if a teacher had also been naughty and put on detention by the Head, then they felt it would be a good time to also make some naughty kids suffer with them?

Do you remember too Mulletino if you got caught doing your Tie after PE, especially if you was on the Footy or Rugger Team - they'd either hate you for it or "turn a strong blind eye"

If they hated on you for/because of it (or Negging in Modern Lingo) we had to do a variety of other excersises like Press Ups etc etc or similar ... but generaly the Footy/Ruugger Lads got away with it sadly lol

80sChav

I was in the Rugby team but i don't think that got me any slack, a few guys would pretend they "forgot" to put their tie back on after PE and would use that excuse if caught.

Our ties would also be frayed a bit at the thin end from "flicking" them at each other when getting changed.

We had another teacher who would tell you off for not having a shower after PE lessons and would sometimes stand by the shower to make sure everyone had one, sounds a bit wrong now though....
    Some kids would just stick their head in so it was wet so when he checked he thought you'd been in.....

I vividly recall an occasion when I was in the Lower Sixth at boarding school (about 17 years old). In the shower after a Rugger game I released an extremely satisfying but also extremely lethal ‘silent but deadly’ fart. All of us fled from the shower as soon as we could, reeling from the smell and accusing each other: ‘Pwoah, who made that stink?’ etc. The games master who was supervising the shower, who was ex-Army, looked completely deadpan and expressionless and made no comment as we scarpered and the smell lingered in the showers. I joined in with everyone in expressing surprise and shock.

After games the team would have tea and toast and then free time for the rest of the day. I remember it was a freezing cold day – log fire weather - and I donned a warm Guernsey fisherman’s sweater and went to the dining room with the rest of the chaps. When I was helping myself to tea and hot buttered toast, I suddenly felt myself being tickled in the ribs from behind so firmly that I could almost feel the fingers through the thick sweater. Doubling up with surprised laughter, I turned and saw it was the games master. He then stood close to me and I thought he was about to whisper something in my ear. Instead of whispering, he bellowed: ‘I know it was you who farted’. Everyone turned towards me and I could feel myself turning bright red.

Not a punishment in the traditional sense but I had never felt so embarrassed in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    I was in the Rugby team but i don't think that got me any slack, a few guys would pretend they "forgot" to put their tie back on after PE and would use that excuse if caught.

Our ties would also be frayed a bit at the thin end from "flicking" them at each other when getting changed.

We had another teacher who would tell you off for not having a shower after PE lessons and would sometimes stand by the shower to make sure everyone had one, sounds a bit wrong now though....
    Some kids would just stick their head in so it was wet so when he checked he thought you'd been in.....
    Hi Mulletino

That is how it worked Re;, the Tie, Re Rugby and Footy if we was any good (not as I was in the Team/s) but I was decent(ish) at them

No though we'd never ever - NEVER fray the thin side - it held too much respect for that

You mentioning the Towels though has inspired me to/reminded me I was going to make a thread about School's providing Towels at PE .... but I wont add much here and will save it for my new thread/post

hope your ok too btw bro and you got my PM as promised (abliet it was very late me gottaning round to it)??

80sChav