Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: School Punishment

Default School Punishment

I was wondering when physical punishment was stopped at school.

My Junior School still used this until I left in 1971.
    Not all teachers did this and the only teacher that did this to me was a male teacher in the second year when I was 8. He used to whack you on the palm of the hand with a ruler.

When I went to Senior School it was girls only and we never had this, but my husband who went to the adjoining all boys school was still being caned until 1974 when he left.

Seems incredible now.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Default Re: School Punishment

Hi Kaz

Well, I was at secondary school between 1974 and 1979. I think the cane was withdrawn during this time. When I started at the school, I remember there was a rumour going round amongst the kids that you could 'refuse' the cane and get suspended for a few days instead, and that many children just agreed to being struck so they could then keep it from their parents. The girls only got the slipper, not the cane.

At Junior school, we had a very fierce head master, and once again, I believe he kept a cane but rarely used it. The deputy head used to occasionally whack a child's backside though.

The idea of a teacher using a ruler to strike the palm of an eight year old, seems astonishing now doesn't it?
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 24-03-2010 at 18:50.

There was no cane when I was in junior school between 78 and 82, but the deputy head had a slipper/plimsole called Herbert that was apparently used to deliver a good whack to offending pupils backsides. I never experienced it though being the good boy I am.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

A BBC report I've just read states that corporal punishment in state schools in the UK was outlawed in 1986. I left school in 1987 and it was certainly around whilst I was there and although I never got caned friends of mine did.
    I did however at primary school have to stand outside the headmasters room in the corridor facing the wall every break time for a week!!
    Ahhh happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    There was no cane when I was in junior school between 78 and 82, but the deputy head had a slipper/plimsole called Herbert that was apparently used to deliver a good whack to offending pupils backsides. I never experienced it though being the good boy I am.
    Yeah we believe you, Mike.

I'm actually surprised it was outlawed as late as 1987.
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether it was a good or bad thing?

A good whack never did anyome any harm and if it made people think twice before doing something wrong I don't see the problem with it.

Regular and sustained beatings on the other hand are wrong. If a pupil continued to fail to behave after receiving the cane or other corporal punishment then it's obvious that it's not going to correct their behaviour.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

I think I would have to agree with you on all points, Mike. I'm not sure what age it would be acceptable to start it though.

When you see the lack of discipline and respect in schools at present it does make you wonder what the answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    Regular and sustained beatings on the other hand are wrong. If a pupil continued to fail to behave after receiving the cane or other corporal punishment then it's obvious that it's not going to correct their behaviour.
    I agree, mein Herr.
    I'm glad they abolished corporal punishment and don't think it ever worked and should not be brought back.
    I remember we had a mad woman trying to teach us French in junior school. She'd throw the blackboard rubber and bits of chalk at you if she thought you were misbehaving. It never improved our behaviour or our French, so what was the point?

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessDragon View Post
    ...I remember we had a mad woman trying to teach us French in junior school. She'd throw the blackboard rubber and bits of chalk at you if she thought you were misbehaving. It never improved our behaviour or our French, so what was the point?
    You just reminded me of a teacher I once had when I was about 12. He started by throwing bits of chalk at the kids who were not paying attention and then graduated to those heavy wooden board rubbers. Thank goodness his aim was bad - though of course, it is quite likely he was missing on purpose.

My husband was telling me he used to have a board rubber thrown at him on occasion and was once whacked with a blackboard compass! The wingnut gave him a nasty bruise as well. I would consider that excessive punishment myself! He did also say that the boys loved trying to get away with being hurt by the cane by shoving exercise books down the back of their trousers.