No announcement yet.

Fosters Menswear. Principles for men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fosters Menswear. Principles for men.

I got my first suit from Fosters when I left school in 1995. It was a double-breasted, dark green affair and had that shiny look to the material. Remember when those 'Beatles' style mandarin jackets were all the rage in the 90s? I resisted the urge to wear one thankfully. Fosters did their own brand of sportswear too that was branded ACC and I had a pair of green and white basketball boots and a couple of shell suits with ACC emblazoned on the leg and the back of the jacket. I was 13 and and the age when I had to wear whatever my folks bought me :-(

Comment

Gosh i remember fosters. It used to be great for picking up t-shirts fairly cheap in those days. I had no idea that it joined with others to become D2. yet another casualty of the unfortunates in the high street.

Comment

Fosters closed in August 1998 in the town I grew up in. Remember it well because I'd just got my GCSE results and went to the store afterwards. They were selling all their stock off at the time. I got a hideous Ralph lauren Chaps shirt for £10.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
          I remember when Fosters were known as Foster Brothers. At least that's what was above the front of their store in Middle Street, Yeovil until the mid eighties. Mid eighties they moved from Middle Street into the Quedam Shopping Centre, where their new store had a outward pointing triangular sign with FOSTERS in neon lettering either side. Why they dropped the Brothers bit I don't know.

Also I remember their TV advert late 1970s / early 1980s, with the slogan "Foster Menswear ... Right style right price". That was followed with the tagline "Your Christmas Quids-in Sale" (that had a picture of a hand with banknote ends sticking out above it).

They disappeared all of a sudden everywhere, I haven't seen a Fosters store anywhere for years now. Does anyone know what happened to them?
          They went out of business. I worked for them from 1972 till 1991 when I was made redundant

Comment

Malcolm, I remember you well, if I remember correctly you were studying music. I was part of the southern display team on Fosters and serviced Bransons. I am sure you will remember Mr Smallman the far from small manager, and his intrepid team of salesmen. I worked for Fosters for 12 years from 1969; it was a great company to work for and to this day I feel sad about its demise.

Comment

Fosters was our first choice when wanting to buy anything formal. They were reasonably priced, which was our main concern. Their rival, Burton's, were viewed as more expensive, so our local Foster's was always first port of call, and my mom always bought my school uniform from them.

Comment

Used to love Fosters, remember having a white shirt with Fats Domino's band down the center like a tie.

Comment

Whatta a class institution these shops was - I have pics in Football Books of Modeling ppl of the day. Very good shops indeed!

Comment

Does anyone remember Foster Brothers in Ashton or Salford in Manchester in the 70s? I worked there as a 13 yr old Saturday girl. Does anyone remember the Manager Mr Roberts? Or an older employee first name Carreena? She had long straight blonde hair. Please get in touch if you remember! Thank you very much June Phillips....

Comment

I knew you there Malcolm, I was part of the mobile display team: best wishes Chris.

Comment

Fosters had some classy menswear (for back in the day) I think - given the 1980s was good one minute in Clothes and Fashion and not the next!!

I am sure I have an advert for Fosters in a Football Book from the late 90s (and though I have not read the book in question for ages) for many a moon I recalled being impressed by their range etc etc

80sChav

Comment

I vaguely remember seeing the adverts in the daily newspapers.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by George 1978; 14-12-2017, 12:40.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was looking at the UK Press Online archive to see which newspaper advert was the very last one to mention 1970s flares for sale, and I managed to find out that it was a Foster Menswear advert from the page 26 of Daily Mirror on Friday 7th December 1979. It mentions the "or flares" bit so it counts. And no doubt that the straight ones were selling like hot cakes at the time and the flares weren't doing too well, not surprisingly...

Attached Files
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Pretty sure Fosters in Southend was where I got my Farah's, Sta-Press, Waffle and Tonic trousers from BITD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                                Pretty sure Fosters in Southend was where I got my Farah's, Sta-Press, Waffle and Tonic trousers from BITD.
                                Fosters and Farrar's go hand in hand" or they definitley did do in my youth Mulletino (like at Youth Clubs and/or School) if you was daring enough to "chance them" as School trousers!

In saying this Fosters became Burton's I think and they are still very decent for Mens Clothes now I am tempted to believe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X