Fosters Menswear. Principles for men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fosters Menswear. Principles for men.

CAn anyone else remember Fosters Menswear shops from the 80's? I had a really 'nice' paisley shirt from there and an even 'nicer' pink and white candystripe shirt too (the white stripes were all searsukker) amonst other things. They did a range of jeans called 'Smithy' that were quite trendy at the time. It was really trendy in its day then it dissapeared in the mid 90's I think. Same for Principles for men. Had loads of really nice jumpers from there and a great coat or 2! Another great shop thats long gone!!
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Re: Fosters Menswear. Principles for men.

I used to love Foster's, I bought my first suit there in the eighties, single button, thin lapels and dark grey with coloured flecks. Do you remember the trend for pulling your suit jacket sleeves up above your elbows?
    sigpic

Comment

I do remember that trend. My sister's boyfriend used to do it!! I also had a thin gray leather tie from fosters!!

Comment

I remember Fosters, used to go there myself as it was cheap.

I think they existed until the mid to late 90's.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I remember Foster's very well and bought lots of things there in my teenage years.

I found this pic.

Comment

Nice Find MB. The male model looks a across between of Burt Reynolds and Action man, maybe he's name Action Burt rofl
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              Nice Find MB. The male model looks a across between of Burt Reynolds and Action man, maybe he's name Action Burt rofl
              LoL! It's John Conteh, the famous boxer.

Comment

WOW great pic!! That must be from the mid-late 70's is it?? I always preferd Fosters to Topman.

Comment

Stockport had a Fosters until the mid 1990s, they seemed to go very quickly, were theu taken over & quickly rebranded?
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember when Fosters were known as Foster Brothers. At least that's what was above the front of their store in Middle Street, Yeovil until the mid eighties. Mid eighties they moved from Middle Street into the Quedam Shopping Centre, where their new store had a outward pointing triangular sign with FOSTERS in neon lettering either side. Why they dropped the Brothers bit I don't know.

Also I remember their TV advert late 1970s / early 1980s, with the slogan "Foster Menswear ... Right style right price". That was followed with the tagline "Your Christmas Quids-in Sale" (that had a picture of a hand with banknote ends sticking out above it).

They disappeared all of a sudden everywhere, I haven't seen a Fosters store anywhere for years now. Does anyone know what happened to them?
                    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I've been doing a bit of digging and it seems that Fosters was one of the companies, (along with Jeanster? Jeanstar?), that became part of 'D2' when the chain was created in 1999.

Comment

D2? I've never heard of them. Did they ever have shops in towns and cities around the UK? I don't remember seeing a D2 shop anywhere.
                        I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I hadn't heard of them either, seems they are a Scottish chain who had strores around the UK and went into administration in December last year

http://www.heraldscotland.com/busine...ation-1.995413

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2_(clothing)
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Yes I do remember that Company very well. I worked for the Company from school and was a Store Manager for around 12 years at Various locations in the South East. Great Company! Sadly missed, it was brought out by the Sears Group and later folded in I think 1999. i will check that out

OMG!! I remember that Promotion!! LOL He lost the Fight so we had to take everything down from display! I used to be a store Manager

Comment

I worked in a shop called Bransons in High Street Hounslow when I was in the 6th form and at college. It was an independent shop owned by Foster Brothers. Fosters also owned Adams baby wear. despite being a man I worked as a manageress at adams in Hitchin during my summer break when I was at college.

Comment

Working...
                              X