Clubs and societies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clubs and societies

I have some very happy memories of our Science Club in Primary School. Every Monday, with a science teacher we all adored, we'd make hot air balloons out of tissue paper; build bee hives; make model aeroplanes, .... and mix chemicals to explosive effect!

In Secondary, we had the Photographic Club. We would bring along pictures we'd taken, and the teacher had this wonderfully gentle but effective way of telling us how we could have improved the images.

Anyone have any memories of the activities that took place after school?

Re: Clubs and societies

I was a member of the Computer Studies Club in Secondary. However, I never once saw a computer
    It was all BASIC programming. Rumour had it the school had a BBC Micro, but I never saw it
    This was way before computers were the norm in school (I left in '82)

Comment

OK ! Balloon Building - My husband (who, is the same age as me 44 at present!) remembers building balloons - and one went up and then descended and wrapped itself round a pupils legs - they all laughed as they beat out the flames ! I am sure it would never happen like that now !

He has never forgot it!

Comment

My school had a project week every other year at the end of term. I remember doing an archiological dig one year, & a study of flight the other.

During the second time I made a bin bag balloon, but launched it with a DIY hot air blower. We also had some fun with bottle rockets, I bought one afterwards & had it for a few years until I lent it to a friend who lost some of the parts.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was captain of the Animal Club - took my team to a national competition, lol

Comment

Never had any at my first Secondary School or Primary! Though at my first Secondary - they'd have smashed up all the rooms for clubs and probably did too sadly

At my 2nd Secondary - we ad a few and it had a Rifle Range for the Cadets and others could attend it who went to the School (and you didn't have to be a Cadet as such). We had lLunchtime Sport too (not PE), but no Footy or Rugby Accadamy or Year Teams or anything like that - it makes me well sad and a bit jelous when you hear years later that Kids get so many Clubs to go to and are STILL bored!!

The best though is reserved for last - the Computer Club at my 2nd Secondary! Why I went I dunno ... butam so glad I did and a friend of a friend showed me the very basics and then years later on Facebook I thanked him for showing me this "design" he showed me once - which I thought at the time was so basic ... but showing me that showed me so much and so little all in one but also stil evokes great memories of that era (though I only went 3/4 times at most) and am so glad this friend of a friend showed me it and just said "go and try it" or whatever his phrasing was! Great times indeed!

80sChav

Comment

There was an youth club on the school site but you were not allowed in until you were 15 I think.You could go there lunchtime for crisps,drink,chocolate sweets etc.They had a jukebox pool table,table tennis,football game.
              When we were 16 we used the club for drama lessons

Comment

Working...
              X