wildergorn pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wildergorn pictures

Anyone remember Wildergorn colour in posters? Large black & white drawings of a fantasy world very "Lord of the Rings" like. Came with a set of felt tip pens for you to colour in yourself. They were drawn by an artist named Jamie Courtiere. There were small pictures with titles like "In the Lurks Encampment" and very large posters which came in a mahogany coloured cardboard tube with titles like "The Pog's Revenge". Love to know if there are any still out there.

Wildergorn

Hello!

My business partner Jamie Courtier, drew the Wildergorn posters during the mid seventies. Until last year, Jamie was Creative Director of the Jim Henson Creature shop, the London base of which was closed down. Jamie and I now have a creative partnership - The Ark, creating and writing for film and TV. We're about to publish Jamie's only previously unpublished poster ... not in the original Wildergorn series, but recognisably in the same style. It will be released as a signed limited edition black and white print. We're literally in discussion at the moment about whether to re issue some of the early posters.

As a child, I coloured all of them. Got totally lost in them. I met Jamie because my novel was inspired by the Wildergorn posters. We met and our ideas gelled and .... here we are.

Would be fascinated to know what connection you have with the posters.

All the best - Vicky Kimm
    Last edited by vicky; 11-04-2006, 14:19.

Comment

Bloody hell I had completely forgotten about these, I think I got a couple of them for my birthday, I forget what age I was, I spent ages colouring them in getting them just right making sure I didn't go over the lines.

Comment

Hi Jeff54,

Great to hear from someone else who remembers the posters! I was beginning to think I imagined them. I found the small ones first, and did those to death. I was a great Roger Dean fan and I loved the Lord of the Rings, so Jamie's posters really grabbed my imagination. Lots of fun.

Originally posted by jeff54
        Love to know if there are any still out there.
        I've been keeping my eye on boot fairs, ebay and the net generally since about 1995, and have never seen a trace of one, unfortunately.

Originally posted by vicky

We're about to publish Jamie's only previously unpublished poster ... not in the original Wildergorn series, but recognisably in the same style. It will be released as a signed limited edition black and white print. We're literally in discussion at the moment about whether to re issue some of the early posters.

As a child, I coloured all of them. Got totally lost in them. I met Jamie because my novel was inspired by the Wildergorn posters. We met and our ideas gelled and .... here we are.

Would be fascinated to know what connection you have with the posters.

All the best - Vicky Kimm
        That's great news, Vicky. A new JC poster, woot! PLEASE Please please consider publishing the old ones again, in any form. I'd dearly like to see them again.

As for connections to the posters - well, it seemed like I had one on the go (the big ones particularly) for a long time, probably a couple of years at least during the seventies. I think I first got into them in the summer of 76, and the last time I can remember seeing them for sure was when we moved house in 1980, coz I remember finding a tube to store them for the move.
        I got some of that plastic strip they used for clipping on the edge of perspex double glazing and used on the top and bottom edges of the posters. You could put a loop of cord through the top one to hang the posters on the wall. This made it easy to take them down, do some more colouring and then hang them again, no blu-tack stains! So colouring the posters was a long term project for me.
        My Mum liked colouring them too, and we spent some happy times on the posters together.

Any news on how/where we could buy the new poster?

Best wishes

Steve

Comment

I can't believe this is the only Google reference I can find to Wildergorn pictures. Theseswere a huge part of my childhood - my friends, my brother and myself spent countless happy hours colouring them in. My favourite one had big, bulbous trees which my friend coloured in pink and purple and it looked amazing. I wanted to find something for my daughter, who's 11 and getting interested in fantasy art, hoping for a free one to print out - but no luck! Please re-release the early ones, Vicky - I'll buy them!!!!

Comment

wildergorn.

these were posters by someone called jamie courtier,titles were watergorn,the pogs defence,tower mine potters road and there was another one whose name elludes me you could at one time get these from virgin records.there was also a series called poster art which you could get from wh smiths hope this helps if u can locate please let me know,ta

Comment

wildergorn

has anyone heard of when new wildergorn poster comes out.

Comment

Re: wildergorn pictures

Hi, Just seen this forum.
                And, YES !! , I've still got a Wildergorn Poster, fully coloured in, and backed with strong board. Had it hanging on wall for about ten years. It's a bit bruised around the edges now but still looks good. Whenever friends came round in the seventies they all had to colour in a bit.
                Title is: Tower Mine
                The posters used to be stocked in a small games shop in Camden Market, London. Have often looked for more but no luck.

Comment

Re: Wildergorn

Hello there,

My mother brought my attention to this. In the late 70s (being a 60s child) I had a couple years while living on Courthope Road being paid by Wildergorn to colour-in their posters for display around the country. I would have been 12 or so and did this to great effect and with great dedication becoming quite obsessed with making the orcs purple and using large Carendache sets of pencils to get the shading just right. When I started doing this my family were newly arrived from France and I had to be kept a year out of school while we got papers but then I got a few kids from Hampstead comp into doing the posters and taking a % of the price I was being paid for each poster.

This was a big earner for a 12 year old (and at one point represented the only family income) and I must have coloured in 20+ posters if not many more... I have often wanted to find one as a keepsake (even one I might have coloured in) and with the internet had checked a couple of times online to find no record or link...

I now have a family of my own and live out in Wellington, New Zealand just up the road from where many of the Jim Henson folks emigrated for Lord of the Rings. I'm a producer and manager in my own right so a few of those early habits certainly seem to have stuck...

Is The Ark the premises on Fleet Road or is it the old rectory off of Savernake Road where the Wildergorn poster shop was?

Anyway, would be grateful if you kept in touch regarding the possible reprint and if any of the coloured in posters are knocking around.

ATB,

Comment

Hi,
                    Wow,I found this site-AND this question when I put "Wildergorn posters" into a google search!!!
                    I used to LOVE them,and had one for christmas 3 years in a row.I had the large one in the cardboard tube,and three smaller pictures along the same theme in the same tube!!!
                    I do wish the origionals could be copied by permission of the artist for future generations to enjoy (and us oldies TOO,,,lol)
                    TraceyAnne
                    PS-they went along with PROPER felt tipped pens-with a soft thick tip and a huge range of colours,before they were replaced by the thin scratchy FIBRE tipped pens!!!-anyone recall those?
                    TraceyAnne19

Comment

Wildergorn website

http://wildergorn.com/
                      Last edited by sixtyten; 29-10-2009, 18:12.

Comment

w h smith used to sell some posters the same size they were of birds,dolls butterfles,etc.any idea where i could locate these

Comment

Working...
                        X